Letter of Intent for Personal Reasons ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premegg

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older non traditional student and I have been lucky to receive an acceptance so far. I love my partner very much and she is unable to move states for another two years due to her own medically related licensing. We are not yet married. My acceptance is across the country.

I am tempted to write a letter of intent to express to nearby schools I have strong family and personal ties to the area and will attend if granted acceptance. My application does not reflect that we recently moved to this area.

I feel that I have nothing to lose. What are people’s thoughts on this matter? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Have they interviewed you yet at those schools?

If they have not interviewed you and you are asking for an interview because you recently moved to an area (no evidence on your application of your ties to the place) and you are wanting to stay nearby because of a partner to whom you are not married, I'm not feeling a really strong reason to interview you. Furthermore, if you send a letter of intent to more than one school and more than one school takes your bait, you may end up disappointing them by giving a letter of intent and then not matriculating there. That, my friend, is why most deans of admission think that letters of intent are bullsh1t.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above. If you have not yet interviewed at these places, a Letter of Interest couldn't hurt (as long as you actually talk about why you are interested in the program, not just geography), but a letter of intent is too fast too furious otherwise.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an older non traditional student and I have been lucky to receive an acceptance so far. I love my partner very much and she is unable to move states for another two years due to her own medically related licensing. We are not yet married. My acceptance is across the country.

I am tempted to write a letter of intent to express to nearby schools I have strong family and personal ties to the area and will attend if granted acceptance. My application does not reflect that we recently moved to this area.

I feel that I have nothing to lose. What are people’s thoughts on this matter? Thank you.
If you're a superstar and are looking to trade in a Harvard/Stanford level accept for a Drexel/Albany/state school one, then it might be worth it.

But the fact that you want to send an LOI to multiple schools, shows why Admissions deans treat LOIs as lies.

Reactions: 1 users
I totally get where you’re coming from but you also should know that tons of other applicants have SOs, family, etc who’s plans do not fit neatly into their medical schools plans. It’s not uncommon for students to be long distance with partners for 2 years or more. This is an unfortunate reality that many of us are dealing with too so I don’t know if your schools would treat this with the sensitivity you’re hoping for.
edit: I mean Ya if you’re looking for “why not” then sure, shoot your shot! Can’t hurt

Reactions: 1 users