Letter of intent/interest question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedguy0

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the pre-med forum but nobody answered. Should I write one and send to the school AFTER they put me on their waitlist or like right now? They haven't contacted me since the interview. It's pretty much my only shot :( Any advice is grealy appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-21_23-32-6.png
    upload_2014-1-21_23-32-6.png
    95 bytes · Views: 301
I posted this on the pre-med forum but nobody answered. Should I write one and send to the school AFTER they put me on their waitlist or like right now? They haven't contacted me since the interview. It's pretty much my only shot :( Any advice is grealy appreciated!!!

I don't know how it could hurt you. If I was you I would call and talk to their admission department and ask if that's a good idea.

You are aware that most schools, unless they specifically state that they welcome LOI, don't care about them at all?

Do you really think they'll pull you off a wait list with all of the qualified applicants out there, just because you say that they're your #1 choice?

Members don't see this ad :)

At this point, you are welcome to submit a Letter of Interest, if this is a school that you would like to attend. I would start by making a list of all of the reasons why this school would be the best place for you to receive your medical education (i.e. location, distance from family or friends, special training or areas of emphasis, etc.) and a second list of how you specifically will benefit the school by joining their class (i.e. diversity, special interests and/or talents, educational background or work history, etc.). Using these two lists, you can create an outline for your letter. Take your time and really think through all the reasons why this is the best school for you. Letters of Interest can help your application if the admissions committee is on the fence about offering you an acceptance. For more information on the admissions timeline, please see this article on "When Will Medical Schools Give You an Answer?" I hope you receive an acceptance soon! Remember to be gentle with yourself and BREATH.

Reactions: 1 user
No admissions dean is going to look at the waitlist or "LOI's" now. The time to let them know is after traffic day (May 15th). Even then, they only need an "LOI" if you are already accepted somewhere else. If you are holding nowhere they already know you will come. What you send now is not very effective and may well be lost/misfiled.

Sending a letter of interest worked for several of my classmates when they were waitlisted. Some school are more responsive than other. I think its a good idea to send a letter of interest but not a letter of intent. The people that get off the waitlist first are usually the more active applicants