Letter of Intent timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillyC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently waitlisted at my top choice school and am planning on writing a Letter of Intent.

Does anyone have any advice on what this letter should contain beyond an explicit commitment to matriculate if offered acceptance? My instinct is to write a letter detailing my passion for the school and for serving the local area I've come to call home in recent years, but wondering if there is anything else I should clarify to them. There's not much in the way of tangible updates regarding work/activities since I submitted my Letter of Interest in December.

Also, is there a strategy for when to submit LOIs? I would submit it ASAP to show commitment, but wondering if it makes sense to submit in late April/early May when the CYMS tool deadline-induced waitlist movement starts.
The school is BUSM, for those who may have some insider information.

Thanks for any and all advice, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk about the timing but I would just once again highlight some of your main accomplishments and how they relate to the offerings of the school

I don't think it would make a difference if you submit now or later, but I'd try to get it in before April 15th because that's the earliest waitlist movement could potentially start.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not really a science. If you are confident, send the LOI now. If not, don't send it ever. There isn't a "best time" as long as the time is far enough in the cycle that you are sure they are your #1.

If you have other acceptances, this can significantly strengthen your LOI. If you don't, just highlight the factors that make them your #1 choice.

It's not really a science. If you are confident, send the LOI now. If not, don't send it ever. There isn't a "best time" as long as the time is far enough in the cycle that you are sure they are your #1.

If you have other acceptances, this can significantly strengthen your LOI. If you don't, just highlight the factors that make them your #1 choice.
would you mention the other acceptances by name in your LOI?