Letter of Intent timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WillyC

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently waitlisted at my top choice school and am planning on writing a Letter of Intent.

Does anyone have any advice on what this letter should contain beyond an explicit commitment to matriculate if offered acceptance? My instinct is to write a letter detailing my passion for the school and for serving the local area I've come to call home in recent years, but wondering if there is anything else I should clarify to them. There's not much in the way of tangible updates regarding work/activities since I submitted my Letter of Interest in December.

Also, is there a strategy for when to submit LOIs? I would submit it ASAP to show commitment, but wondering if it makes sense to submit in late April/early May when the CYMS tool deadline-induced waitlist movement starts.
The school is BUSM, for those who may have some insider information.

Thanks for any and all advice, everyone!
 
Idk about the timing but I would just once again highlight some of your main accomplishments and how they relate to the offerings of the school
 
I don't think it would make a difference if you submit now or later, but I'd try to get it in before April 15th because that's the earliest waitlist movement could potentially start.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not really a science. If you are confident, send the LOI now. If not, don't send it ever. There isn't a "best time" as long as the time is far enough in the cycle that you are sure they are your #1.

If you have other acceptances, this can significantly strengthen your LOI. If you don't, just highlight the factors that make them your #1 choice.
 
It's not really a science. If you are confident, send the LOI now. If not, don't send it ever. There isn't a "best time" as long as the time is far enough in the cycle that you are sure they are your #1.

If you have other acceptances, this can significantly strengthen your LOI. If you don't, just highlight the factors that make them your #1 choice.
would you mention the other acceptances by name in your LOI?