Letter of Intention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I submitted my primary late October and most of my secondaries already (LECOM, NYCOM, WVSOM, VCOM, OSUCOM) in early November (2nd-10th) and am planning to submit a few more (both ATSU SOMA/Kirksville, Burrell, maybe 1 or 2 others) and am wondering if I should bother sending a LOI on the former schools in the next week or two.

My stats are 3.37 cgpa 3.8 spga ( upward trend, bio major, will graduate with >3.4 maybe 3.5 if I get only 1 or 2 B's in my last semester and the rest A's ) and 501 MCAT with a 121 in cars.
thousands of research hours with 2 posters, good clinical exp/hours, DO and MD letter+shadowing, good nonclinical exp/hours, club president, on sports team

The reason I ask is because I called one of the schools about where my application is in the process and the adviser on the phone told me to try updating my primary or sending a LOI around december if I dont hear back. Is it a good idea or would this make me seem desperate? I know my MCAT is kind of low and I will retake to bring up my CARS if I dont get in this cycle.

I also have a friend that submitted a letter and he got an interview shortly after and was wondering if I should do the same. What is the best thing to write on the letter if i were to submit it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My advisor told me letter of intents don't work 99% of the time.
You only need it to work 1% of the time for it to be worth it. I can tell you that letter of intent did help me land a residency interview, and I heard of students that were seen positively by my medical school for it.
 
You only need it to work 1% of the time for it to be worth it. I can tell you that letter of intent did help me land a residency interview, and I heard of students that were seen positively by my medical school for it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and I'm assuming it can't hurt you so I'm gonna shoot my shot if there's nothing by the end of this week.