Letter of Intention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my primary late October and most of my secondaries already (LECOM, NYCOM, WVSOM, VCOM, OSUCOM) in early November (2nd-10th) and am planning to submit a few more (both ATSU SOMA/Kirksville, Burrell, maybe 1 or 2 others) and am wondering if I should bother sending a LOI on the former schools in the next week or two.

My stats are 3.37 cgpa 3.8 spga ( upward trend, bio major, will graduate with >3.4 maybe 3.5 if I get only 1 or 2 B's in my last semester and the rest A's ) and 501 MCAT with a 121 in cars.
thousands of research hours with 2 posters, good clinical exp/hours, DO and MD letter+shadowing, good nonclinical exp/hours, club president, on sports team

The reason I ask is because I called one of the schools about where my application is in the process and the adviser on the phone told me to try updating my primary or sending a LOI around december if I dont hear back. Is it a good idea or would this make me seem desperate? I know my MCAT is kind of low and I will retake to bring up my CARS if I dont get in this cycle.

I also have a friend that submitted a letter and he got an interview shortly after and was wondering if I should do the same. What is the best thing to write on the letter if i were to submit it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor told me letter of intents don't work 99% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
My advisor told me letter of intents don't work 99% of the time.
You only need it to work 1% of the time for it to be worth it. I can tell you that letter of intent did help me land a residency interview, and I heard of students that were seen positively by my medical school for it.

You only need it to work 1% of the time for it to be worth it. I can tell you that letter of intent did help me land a residency interview, and I heard of students that were seen positively by my medical school for it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and I'm assuming it can't hurt you so I'm gonna shoot my shot if there's nothing by the end of this week.