Letter of intents for Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedaisy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to family medicine this cycle and have 11 interviews total so far. Interviewed at 6, have 5 more in Jan/Feb. I am very happy to have interviews. But, none of them are the "top" programs on my list that I have hoped for. I have sent couple letter of intents (LOI) to programs that i really really want to interview at. However, did not hear back and did not get any invites yet. Anyone has any experience with LOI and do programs even care?
And any advice on how I can possibly get an interview at my top programs if i did not hear from them yet?

I am from the midwest and all my interviews are within midwest so far. My top programs are also in the midwest. If that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I applied to family medicine this cycle and have 11 interviews total so far. Interviewed at 6, have 5 more in Jan/Feb. I am very happy to have interviews. But, none of them are the "top" programs on my list that I have hoped for. I have sent couple letter of intents (LOI) to programs that i really really want to interview at. However, did not hear back and did not get any invites yet. Anyone has any experience with LOI and do programs even care?
And any advice on how I can possibly get an interview at my top programs if i did not hear from them yet?

I am from the midwest and all my interviews are within midwest so far. My top programs are also in the midwest. If that matters.

I don't think a letter of intent for residency has much value pre-interview invite. Post invite, it should be a "you're-my-number-1-rank" letter and it should only go to the program that you rank number 1. Otherwise I'd say your best bet for getting II at a specific place is networking through your attendings, but at this late in the game, it's likely a long shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think a letter of intent for residency has much value pre-interview invite. Post invite, it should be a "you're-my-number-1-rank" letter and it should only go to the program that you rank number 1. Otherwise I'd say your best bet for getting II at a specific place is networking through your attendings, but at this late in the game, it's likely a long shot.

OP is referring to a preinterview letter of interest to tell a program they didn’t just choose to apply there out of the blue.

Shoot your shot OP. I’ve sent 3 and landed an interview the very next morning from one of them. They don’t hurt you unless there program says somewhere “don’t bother” or you get anxious and bother the program with a second one.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP is referring to a preinterview letter of interest to tell a program they didn’t just choose to apply there out of the blue.

Shoot your shot OP. I’ve sent 3 and landed an interview the very next morning from one of them. They don’t hurt you unless there program says somewhere “don’t bother” or you get anxious and bother the program with a second one.
They should say letter of interest if they mean letter of interest. A letter of intent in residency context is a whole different can of worms. Regardless, OP stated they already sent them to their high interest places so not much else to be done. They have had 11 II's so for most non-competitive residencies and for the average applicant it should be enough to match somewhere.

They should say letter of interest if they mean letter of interest. A letter of intent in residency context is a whole different can of worms. Regardless, OP stated they already sent them to their high interest places so not much else to be done. They have had 11 II's so for most non-competitive residencies and for the average applicant it should be enough to match somewhere.

Tell them that not me. I know all of this. I just knew from the context they meant letter of interest since it’s pre-interview trying to snag one...

Its worth it to send letters of interest to basically everywhere you want interviews from. They are low risk and occasionally (but frequently enough to be worth it) you get an invite out of it. Just make sure that you are careful with copy and paste. Our program receives multiple letters of interest that are to the wrong specialty or institution.

Don't feel bad if you don't get interviews after letters of interest. Remember that you are starting from a position of not having an interview, so you lost nothing.

I think having a faculty member, preferably in FM, contact the program and endorse your application. I have had good success with helping students get interviews in the past. To be honest, they were all good applicants, but I was at least able to get someone to give their app a look. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
I think having a faculty member, preferably in FM, contact the program and endorse your application. I have had good success with helping students get interviews in the past. To be honest, they were all good applicants, but I was at least able to get someone to give their app a look. Good luck and best wishes!
Hello,

Thanks so much for this idea! How do you suggest I go about this? I do not know anyone at the program I am wishing to send a LOI to. Whom do I ask to consider vouching for me?

Hello,

Thanks so much for this idea! How do you suggest I go about this? I do not know anyone at the program I am wishing to send a LOI to. Whom do I ask to consider vouching for me?
Oh, that's easy. Ask a faculty member from FM that knows you to write an email either to the program director or staff person in charge of applications at the programs , endorsing your application. This at least gets your app another look. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user