Letter of Interest vs Letter of Intent for Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AGD127

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am trying to get off the waitlist and I am not sure if structuring my letter as a letter of interest vs intent would make a difference so late in this application cycle. The class is full and I’ve heard a lot of people are trying to get off the waitlist, so I need to be more strategic with the email I am going to send. Also, since Im committed to a different school, should I include in the letter stating I am willing to withdraw? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
These letters don’t do anything. The year is about to start and the class is full.
This is anecdotal, and obviously doesn’t apply to everyone. A kid at my dental school got off the waitlist a week before classes started. They were going to a different school that was about to start. Sent a “Willing to move right now, any chance I could still be accepted” letter and got in that afternoon. The class was a little smaller than normal because of Covid, so they had an “extra” 8-10 seats that they left open to have a smaller class in case things never bounced back with Covid, so they weren’t completely full. But either way, it worked.

Reactions: 1 user
This is anecdotal, and obviously doesn’t apply to everyone. A kid at my dental school got off the waitlist a week before classes started. They were going to a different school that was about to start. Sent a “Willing to move right now, any chance I could still be accepted” letter and got in that afternoon. The class was a little smaller than normal because of Covid, so they had an “extra” 8-10 seats that they left open to have a smaller class in case things never bounced back with Covid, so they weren’t completely full. But either way, it worked.
is it worth to mention my acceptance at a different school? Is this visible on their end?

We don't know the schools in play, and you don't know in the background if the University budgeting office asks the dean of your program to open up a few extra seats to offset a budget shortfall by the end of the month. Basically, there are so many things outside your control that you can send the letter, but how effective it is may not be due to your actions.

That said, to answer the questions: what is your compelling reason to go to your WL school over your A school? I suppose it could be costs, proximity to family, etc. Realize you can make the best case possible but if there isn't a seat available, you can rest assured you did all you could. Get your bags packed for the school where you have placed a tuition deposit, and think about returning to the WL school for graduate education.

I'm sure chatbots can provide a draft structure (DON'T SEND IT without personalizing it to your circumstances). Also understand, admissions officers will also be skeptical with just emails that could be generated by bots.

If in your interview, it was clear your school will not accept updates, then okay. If you were encouraged to call the admissions staff, make a phone call (or if they do Zoom/Meet/Teams) and see if they would be willing to talk with you about your WL status.