Letter of Intent/Letter of Interest timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It’s Over!!!

Reaction score
How long after submitting secondaries and not hearing back from a particular school should you consider sending a Letter of Intent or Letter of Interest to the schools you are most interested in (even if these are the schools that most people are interested in, eg Harvard, NYU, Penn, etc).

I realize some schools do not take them, but for those that do, when to send? A month after secondary? 2 Months? 10/1? 10/15? Looking for guidance.

I know it is still early, but just trying to gauge when for example I should consider writing to schools submitted in mid to late July to mid August.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fwiw I'm timing mine to hit after the second big wave of IIs for schools I'm looking at. Kind of hard to judge by in eyeballing it and waiting at least a month post secondary to send it. Not sure if that's a good approach or not

Reactions: 1 users
That is probably ideal imo but again I could be spewing nonsense lol. Figured I want my letter to get in and marinate for enough time before the dreaded thanksgiving hour hits

Reactions: 1 user
A letter of Intent is for a single school after a student has been interviewed and waitlisted.
The best timing for MD schools will vary but earlier than March will not be as effective.

Letters of interest are for schools that like to be flattered and begged. They will often let you know how much they want these things. As far as I know, you can send as many as you want (within reason) and to as many schools as you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1694715327464.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Schools already know you are interested because you submitted an application and a secondary and have not withdrawn it. There is absolutely zero need to contact them in between application submission and an interview offer (or rejection) to tell them that UNLESS you have a significant, moves-the-needle-on-a-decision update which almost nobody will have before December or so. Schools have thousands of applications to review and only a limited number of people who already have other full time jobs to do it, they will be sending out interview invites as late as March or April to people who were complete as early as possible.