Letter of rec from doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielthemaniel

Overthinking
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi quick question I shadowed a primary care doc for about 40 hours and I’m planning on shadowing a couple more, do I need letters of rec from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Only a few MD schools require a clinical letter at all. Several DO schools expect a letter from a physician. If you are applying DO and one of these docs is a DO get a letter for sure. If you are applying DO and none of the docs are DO get a letter from the MD to use. I’ve read that DO schools will accept a MD letter.

Reactions: 2 users
No, you do not unless you are shadowing a DO and intend to apply to DO schools. MD schools tend to find letters from pre-med advisors/committees and faculty who have taught you or supervised your work in the lab more informative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A general rule of thumb for rec letters is that how 'useful' they are depends on how much the person can actually speak about you/recommend you. If all you did was shadow a doctor, there's not much for them to really say, so it's not needed very much.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 3 users