Letter of Rec from "Science" professor?

Started by aqz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aqz

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm majoring in biomedical engineering (BME), and there is this professor who I've taken 2 BME courses with. I would definitely say that he is the only professor who I've made any effort to get to know on a more personal level. However, the 2 courses were Biomechanics and Biofluids, which should be counted as "engineering" courses, although one could argue they are also physics.

Would a letter of recommendation from this professor count as a "science" LOR?
 
It is likely to be considered a letter from a science faculty. However be prepared to explain to specific school's that you believed it was considered a science letter, because it's entirely possible they will not automatically give it that status.

Ex: I had a professor from an allied health department write me a letter, and while AADSAS considered his courses as science courses, OHSU and Western both assumed it was an "other" letter; after e-mailing both, both gave his letter the status of one from a science faculty.

Because it's impossible to be sure of any of this, you should attempt to acquire a backup letter writer from a hard science, especially if you only have 1 at this time, since many schools will want more than that. Don't worry about them knowing you very well, even having something generic (as a back up) could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.