Letter of Rec from "Science" professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in biomedical engineering (BME), and there is this professor who I've taken 2 BME courses with. I would definitely say that he is the only professor who I've made any effort to get to know on a more personal level. However, the 2 courses were Biomechanics and Biofluids, which should be counted as "engineering" courses, although one could argue they are also physics.

Would a letter of recommendation from this professor count as a "science" LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

It is likely to be considered a letter from a science faculty. However be prepared to explain to specific school's that you believed it was considered a science letter, because it's entirely possible they will not automatically give it that status.

Ex: I had a professor from an allied health department write me a letter, and while AADSAS considered his courses as science courses, OHSU and Western both assumed it was an "other" letter; after e-mailing both, both gave his letter the status of one from a science faculty.

Because it's impossible to be sure of any of this, you should attempt to acquire a backup letter writer from a hard science, especially if you only have 1 at this time, since many schools will want more than that. Don't worry about them knowing you very well, even having something generic (as a back up) could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.