Letter of Rec Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runninggartman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to JHU's letter of rec requirements. There was one older thread that asked a similar question, but only one response ever came back so I figured it'd be worth another ask.

My question comes regarding how many letters they are actually asking for. Here's their two statements.

MD/PHD Statement:

3. In addition to those letters required for application to the MD Program, a minimum of two additional letters of recommendation are required for all MD-PhD applicants. These letters, typically from faculty with whom the applicant has done research, should assess the applicant’s research accomplishments and motivation for research. The letters may be part of the committee packet if your institution provides one. MD-PhD applicants should send all letters of recommendation via the AMCAS Letter Service. Any additional supplemental material (manuscripts, awards, etc.) pertaining to the MD-PhD application, not already included with the primary or secondary application, may be sent via mail to: MD-PhD Program, c/o Martha Buntin, 1830 E. Monument Street, Suite 2-300, Baltimore, MD 21205

MD LOR Requirement

Committee/Advisor: Required if you have attended a college/university with a Committee or Advisor

OR

Letter Packet: Required if you have attended a college/university which assembles and distributes a letter packet.

OR

Two (2) letters from faculty members in science departments who taught you and one (1) letter of recommendation from non-science faculty who taught you. Required if the college/university you have attended does not have a Committee/Advisor.

In addition to the letters listed above, applicants with advanced degrees or significant postgraduate work experience of one year or more, are required to send recommendations from each component of their education and major work experience.

Would this mean that you would need 4 total science letters in order to apply? I currently have 3, but two are both PI's and instructors, so could satisfy double duty if this is allowed. Most other schools seem to be okay with satisfying both requirements, but this statement seems like they'd want them to be different. I also have 2 non-science letters available.

What do you guys think? Would sending in 3 science letters(2 research)+1 non-science be enough, or do they really require 4 science letters?

Members don't see this ad.

my hunch says they want 4 as it says "in addition" but you should really just call/email them and ask