Letter of Rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreamer95

Reaction score
So, I have run into a bit of an issue with my LOR's. I have all of them requested and submitted except for my second one from a science professor. I have been emailing professors since end of May to try to get a LOR. I have emailed 4 different professors so far and none have even responded to my email. I was thinking about going into office hours but they do not have any hours listed anywhere, I am assuming because it is the summer.

Has this happened to anyone before/does anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? My entire application has been done since June except for this one LOR.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would look up the phone numbers to their office and if they pick up see if you can drop by to talk about them writing you a letter or recommendation. In my experience, a lot of my science professors did research and were really busy. Put in the effort by calling and if that doesn't work, stop by just to ask if you can drop by at a better time (if you do that make sure you come with everything you need).

A lot of my professors have been awful when it comes to email. I didn't even bother emailing my one LOR because I knew he would never read it. If you are going to go to their office, which is what I recommend, I would bring your CV/resume, personal statement and a cover letter. That way they have everything that they need to know about you.

A lot of my professors have been awful when it comes to email. I didn't even bother emailing my one LOR because I knew he would never read it. If you are going to go to their office, which is what I recommend, I would bring your CV/resume, personal statement and a cover letter. That way they have everything that they need to know about you.

I second this. You are asking for a strong LOR not a recipe or directions. Ditch the email approach.

Asking in person takes a little bit of courage also gives you a chance to explain your passion for dentistry.