Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berry13

Reaction score
Should I request LORs from ODs/professors before the cycle begins? I know they will get an email once the cycle begins to prompt them through the process, but is there anything I should specify regarding their letter prior to them receiving the instructions (how long it should be, what they should say, questions to answer, etc)

Also, I don't have a science professor that I am particularly close with. Will it hurt my application if I use a sociology professor that I have taken classes with, worked for, and am certain in getting a very strong letter? I am a psychology major so have better relationships with professors in that field.

Edit: one more question! If I get LORs from multiple doctors, can I choose which ones go where? I think it would be beneficial to send LORs from alumni to the specific schools they went to, if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes I would let them know that you would like LORs from them. Tell them that they have to submit it through OptomCAS after you add their email address.

I didn’t have a science professor I was close with either. I would get a great professor who knows you well (a mentor if you will), an academic/pre-health advisor, or 2nd optometrist maybe.

No, the LOR’s are collected via OptomCAS and sent to every school to which you apply. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Yes I would let them know that you would like LORs from them. Tell them that they have to submit it through OptomCAS after you add their email address.

I didn’t have a science professor I was close with either. I would get a great professor who knows you well (a mentor if you will), an academic/pre-health advisor, or 2nd optometrist maybe.

No, the LOR’s are collected via OptomCAS and sent to every school to which you apply. Hope this helps.
did the schools you applied to question why you didn't have a science LOR or was it okay? I was an econ/global studies major so most of the professors i became close to are in those fields

Hi,

Thank you so much, this has been very helpful! In regards to asking for letters, what should I tell them to expect in the email from optomcas? In case they want to get started on it before the email arrives.