Letter of Recommendation from a D.O. physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlebox5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys! i have a question about some D.O. schools concerning the requirement for some. I read it somewhere that a letter from a D.O./M.D. physician is required for some schools. I have done hospital volunteer work..and will be getting a letter of recommendation from the volunteer coordinator. Is that much different from getting a letter from shadowing a D.O./M.D. doctor? In the city where I live in, there is only one D.O doctor and she's super busy...and I'm a bit worried. Is it too late to shadow a D.O. doctor (while applying at the same time?) Will my not being able to get a letter from the physician really eliminate me from the applicant pool? Will someone help me?? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately some schools abosultely require a DO recommendation. You might have time to put a day in with her shadowing and then get a letter of rec from her. If you cant get a DO rec there are school which will accept MD and the volunteer coordinator may qualify. Theres also some schools which dont require either. Your just going to have to research each school and only apply to those which dont require and MD or DO letter

hey guys! i have a question about some D.O. schools concerning the requirement for some of the D.O. schools. I read it somewhere that a letter from a D.O./M.D. physician is required for some schools. I have done hospital volunteer work..and will be getting a letter of recommendation from the volunteer coordinator. Is that much different from getting a letter from shadowing a D.O./M.D. doctor? In the city where I live in, there is only one D.O doctor and she's super busy...and I'm a bit worried. Is it too late to shadow a D.O. doctor (while applying at the same time?) I understand the point of view behind osteopathy and completely know my reasons for going into osteopathic medicine. Will my not being able to get a letter from the physician really eliminate me from the applicant pool? Will someone help me?? :)
It's best to get a letter from a DO since that covers all the school, but you should do research if you decide to get the MD letter. I implore you, try to get to shadow and know your DO well enough before you get the letter. Generic DO letters are a dime a dozen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I am sure this will help you.

1.) DMU requires one from either a DO/MD or a supervisor of a health-related experience.

2.) PCOM does not require a letter from a DO/MD

3.) Kirksville requires from a DO/Md OR an employer (if you had a job)

4.) If you plan MD, most if not all does not require a letter from a physician

Those are the three DO schools I know, if anybody else knows just add on.

Nova southeastern Uni requires a DO letter

I'm pretty sure LECOM requires a DO letter.