Letter of Recommendation from an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any opinions on this issue! I am an older applicant, having graduated from school about 9 years ago. I have one letter from an old science professor, another from a non-science instructor who also became my manager at a recent company, and am trying to decide what to submit as my third letter. One option is a letter from my current supervisor at my job in an unrelated field. The other is from my best friend, whom I have known since age 8, is a practicing MD, and can speak to my lifelong interest in medicine, my volunteer activities, and our discussions of his path through medical school and residency. Both letters would likely be strong, and both writers know me well. Which do you think would carry more weight with an admissions committee? The childhood friend who can speak to my healthcare interests and qualifications, or the recent supervisor who can speak to my recent work in an unrelated field? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well in my understanding, lors are usually from teachers or employers, so the letter from the md will be a bit of a stretch.

The letter from your MD friend will have to explain the context he knows you through... and he will not have anything to say other than "markm is my homeboy." Since you don't know him in a professional or work-related context, I would go with your job supervisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
The letter from your MD friend will have to explain the context he knows you through... and he will not have anything to say other than "markm is my homeboy." Since you don't know him in a professional or work-related context, I would go with your job supervisor.

Yup. A letter from your buddy will not be helpful regardless of title.

Yeah- you probably want to go with the supervisor unless you're also applying to the University of Florida, which actually specifically asks for a LOR from a peer, in which case you could use both :)