Letter of recommendation from co-founder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I submit my co-founder's LOR?

• Total voters

ariri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I wanted to get your opinions on a non-typical source of LOR (number 4)!
I'm applying for medical schools in June and asking for LORs from:
1. PI who I have done undergrad+post-bacc research with in addition to being a professor for a couple of my classes
2. a junior faculty professor who is also in the same lab but knows me personally significantly better than my PI
3. director of the harm reduction organization that I volunteer in

My question was regarding a fourth LOR from the co-founder/COO of my start-up that I founded a few years ago. I know getting LORs from co-workers are usually frowned upon, would this count as well since he is the same "level" in the company? I wanted the LOR from him to talk about my leadership style and skills, even though it isn't medicine related! The only other person related to my company that wouldn't be my equal is our investor, and I find that very unprofessional/awkward.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I see one letter from PI/class instructor and faculty from same lab. the overlap there almost makes thema single letter. Where is at least one another course instructor? after that the harm reduction volunteeet is ok. The co founder letter will look like a stretch to fill in the lack of core academic letters. Get 1 or 2 other academic letters before anything else

I graduated in 2015, so I thought it might be odd to have academic letters of rec from undergrad. Is this not the case?

what about your post bacc? employer? else original UG maybe needed

Right out of college, I got hired to do research full-time/also the lab manager, and my second job is running my company. My post bacc classes have been through my department, meaning all the professors are also my collaborators. The junior faculty I mentioned was also one of my professors in a post-bac class (our field is so incestuous haha). Would a letter from another professor in my dept be better than undergrad?
Thanks by the way for helping me figure this out!