Letter of Recommendation Question for TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savant

XIII
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying to TMDSAS schools, and the TMDSAS web site instructed, during the application period, to send only two evaluation letters and one extra letter, if needed. My school does not have a premed committee.

I have a suspicion that I have been waitlisted, and my friend who applied last year (who was waitlisted also) suggested that I send in an extra letter of recommendation. I have a letter of recommendation that I didn't send in because of the limit. Should I send it into the school directly, to TMDSAS, or should I not send it at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm applying to TMDSAS schools, and the TMDSAS web site instructed, during the application period, to send only two evaluation letters and one extra letter, if needed. My school does not have a premed committee.

I have a suspicion that I have been waitlisted, and my friend who applied last year (who was waitlisted also) suggested that I send in an extra letter of recommendation. I have a letter of recommendation that I didn't send in because of the limit. Should I send it into the school directly, to TMDSAS, or should I not send it at all.

Sounds good to me, they won't penalize you for it, its just "new material". I would recommend, unless you know its an amazing letter, to either get a dean or that same letter writer to write a letter SPECIFICALLY to that school. They might like that. It might make a slight positive difference, at least, because an extra letter isn't going to do much anyways.

Sounds good to me, they won't penalize you for it, its just "new material". I would recommend, unless you know its an amazing letter, to either get a dean or that same letter writer to write a letter SPECIFICALLY to that school. They might like that. It might make a slight positive difference, at least, because an extra letter isn't going to do much anyways.

i agree. at this point, it can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
New letters of rec are sent to TMDSAS.

I sent 3 LOR, all through TMDSAS. It lets you put in the 2 regular LOR, then gives you an option for an extra letter that they send to all of the schools you apply to. I don't remember exactly what you have to do to make it work, but I don't know if you can add it at this point. I would send it to the school directly, they will add it to your file, and as long is the content is positive, I don't see any way it could negatively affect you.

I sent 3 LOR, all through TMDSAS. It lets you put in the 2 regular LOR, then gives you an option for an extra letter that they send to all of the schools you apply to. I don't remember exactly what you have to do to make it work, but I don't know if you can add it at this point. I would send it to the school directly, they will add it to your file, and as long is the content is positive, I don't see any way it could negatively affect you.

This is taken directly from the TMDSAS website:

"Additional letters are not encouraged. However, TMDSAS will forward only ONE letter in addition to those listed on your application in Section 4 question 4. The additional evaluation letter should be accompanied by the TMDSAS Evaluation Form (with the waiver signature line completed) if the student is waiving his/her right of access to the evaluation letter. TMDSAS will only forward the first additional letter received. Any other additional letters will be discarded.

Once the additional letter has been received, the evaluator's name will be added to the Status of Application & Documents Received page so that the applicant will know the letter has been forwarded to the schools. Other additional letters may be sent directly to the schools, but applicants will need to contact each school to verify if additional letters will be accepted."

I had additional LORs that I didn't get until after I submitted the TMDSAS app. I contacted a couple of the schools, and they told me that additional letters should be sent to TMDSAS, and TMDSAS told me pretty much what's on the website with the caveat that they send additional letters on a first come, first serve basis.

this is taken directly from the tmdsas website:

"additional letters are not encouraged. However, tmdsas will forward only one letter in addition to those listed on your application in section 4 question 4. the additional evaluation letter should be accompanied by the tmdsas evaluation form (with the waiver signature line completed) if the student is waiving his/her right of access to the evaluation letter. tmdsas will only forward the first additional letter received. Any other additional letters will be discarded.

once the additional letter has been received, the evaluator’s name will be added to the status of application & documents received page so that the applicant will know the letter has been forwarded to the schools. other additional letters may be sent directly to the schools, but applicants will need to contact each school to verify if additional letters will be accepted."

i had additional lors that i didn't get until after i submitted the tmdsas app. I contacted a couple of the schools, and they told me that additional letters should be sent to tmdsas, and tmdsas told me pretty much what's on the website with the caveat that they send additional letters on a first come, first serve basis.
bam!!