Letter of recommendation requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedtriguy

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently in the process of submitting my committee packet on AACOMAS. I know most schools have a requirement that one of the letter writers be either an MD or a DO, but does that mean that we needed to work with them in the clinical setting specifically? I have two letter writers that are MD/PhD's who I performed research with, but never shadowed clinically. Will these satisfy the requirements, or should I reach out to one of the physicians I shadowed a few years ago to see if they still have my letter on file?
 
I am currently in the process of submitting my committee packet on AACOMAS. I know most schools have a requirement that one of the letter writers be either an MD or a DO, but does that mean that we needed to work with them in the clinical setting specifically? I have two letter writers that are MD/PhD's who I performed research with, but never shadowed clinically. Will these satisfy the requirements, or should I reach out to one of the physicians I shadowed a few years ago to see if they still have my letter on file?
My only MD letter was from a retired research PI. I worked in his lab for about a year as a research assistant, never shadowed him clinically since he was retired. I had no trouble applying to DO schools that require MD/DO letter.