Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist2be2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know it is late, but I need to figure out who should write my letter of recommendations. I have graduated from college for 2 years now from a very big school. It is hard for professors to get know me personally. So far I think I have two good letters - one from research and one from my physics professor. I am having trouble finding the 3rd. Is it ok to have a science professor to write just about my grades since he doesn't know me very well? Or should I ask for another research adviser to write a more personal letter? But I don't need so many letters about my research... HELP PLEASE, what do you all think??

I am going to apply to Columbia, Harvard, Penn and some others. Do I have a good chance?

My GPA is 3.66, DAT 23AA/24TS/22PAT.

Members don't see this ad.

well since you have two good letters already....

AND you have GREAT GPA and DAT...

you can basically just get a 3rd letter from one of these Biology professors you dont really know even if the letter isn't super awesome.

You should also get a 4th letter from a dentist of course....

Hi, I know it is late, but I need to figure out who should write my letter of recommendations. I have graduated from college for 2 years now from a very big school. It is hard for professors to get know me personally. So far I think I have two good letters - one from research and one from my physics professor. I am having trouble finding the 3rd. Is it ok to have a science professor to write just about my grades since he doesn't know me very well? Or should I ask for another research adviser to write a more personal letter? But I don't need so many letters about my research... HELP PLEASE, what do you all think??

I am going to apply to Columbia, Harvard, Penn and some others. Do I have a good chance?

My GPA is 3.66, DAT 23AA/24TS/22PAT.

Nice stats, by the way. Anyways, I graduated from my university over 5 years ago, and I still managed to ask a biology professor of mine if he would write me a letter, which he did. Now, I had him for 3 different biology courses, so he knew me pretty well during my coursework. But, again, this was years ago. So, I sent him my latest resume and all of my transcripts. That way, he had tangible evidence of how well I did in all his classes and what kind of work experience I've had so far.

Now, if your professor did not know you too well, just send them something they can examine (resume, transcripts, etc.) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed!

definitely send in a resume/ summary of your life so that the professor has some stuff to write about.

IF you can, arrange a meeting to see him in person. Have some chit-chat with the professor, and be social/friendly.

Nice stats, by the way. Anyways, I graduated from my university over 5 years ago, and I still managed to ask a biology professor of mine if he would write me a letter, which he did. Now, I had him for 3 different biology courses, so he knew me pretty well during my coursework. But, again, this was years ago. So, I sent him my latest resume and all of my transcripts. That way, he had tangible evidence of how well I did in all his classes and what kind of work experience I've had so far.

Now, if your professor did not know you too well, just send them something they can examine (resume, transcripts, etc.) Good luck!

Thank you for that suggestion!!:thumbup:

well since you have two good letters already....

AND you have GREAT GPA and DAT...

you can basically just get a 3rd letter from one of these Biology professors you dont really know even if the letter isn't super awesome.

You should also get a 4th letter from a dentist of course....

Thanks a lot!!:)