Letter of withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutie20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone send me the template/give me ideas on how to be very polite when writing an acceptance withdrawal letter. Do you have to remind them to send your refundable deposit to you? How is that done?
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Dean XXX,

I would like to thank you for my acceptance to XYZ Medical School. I have been very impressed with [whatever you liked about the school]. At this time, however; I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted to another program which I believe will be a better fit for me. My deposit may be refunded to the address below. I truly do appreciate the consideration of your admissions committee.

Thank you again,
cutie20
[your address]

Dear Dean XXX,

I would like to thank you for my acceptance to XYZ Medical School. I have been very impressed with [whatever you liked about the school]. At this time, however; I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted to another program which I believe will be a better fit for me. My deposit may be refunded to the address below. I truly do appreciate the consideration of your admissions committee.

Thank you again,
cutie20
[your address]

Somebody has had practice :laugh:

This looks pretty good, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Can anyone send me the template/give me ideas on how to be very polite when writing an acceptance withdrawal letter. Do you have to remind them to send your refundable deposit to you? How is that done?
Thanks for your input!

Hey Cutie20, did you post in the "Acceptance Withdrawal Thread" whaich school you are withdrawing from yet??

Whats the procedure for withdrawl. Just the letter? Or should I also call the admissions office?

Hey Cutie20, did you post in the "Acceptance Withdrawal Thread" whaich school you are withdrawing from yet??

No I haven't. i will post on there after I withdraw. Withdrawing from UIC and Howard.
Depakote!! Thanks a lot for the letter template.. 'ppreciate it!!!:)

Dear Dean XXX,

Thank you again,
cutie20
[your address]
Just go with a Zahque-esque "***** please". Short, sweet, and to the point. :smuggrin:

hmmm... i guess i was rude. i just sent emails saying "i got an offer to my top choice school and would like to go ahead and open this seat up for another student" (except that i said it with better grammar). UAB didn't seem to get the hint, though, so i guess i'll send them a real letter... though i was pretty direct in the email, so i'm not sure being nicer would do the job for me, either.

I used the phrase "unfortunately I will no longer be able to accept a place in the XYZ class of 2011, and I find it necessary to withdraw my application at this time".

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm... i guess i was rude. i just sent emails saying "i got an offer to my top choice school and would like to go ahead and open this seat up for another student" (except that i said it with better grammar). UAB didn't seem to get the hint, though, so i guess i'll send them a real letter... though i was pretty direct in the email, so i'm not sure being nicer would do the job for me, either.
Just wipe your ass with their letter of acceptance and mail it back to them. That should get your point across.

Is an email sufficient? Or do you need to send a letter as well.

I've been rejected twice by some schools. I feel as if I should at least withdraw from a school twice to even shiit out.

wow, people here are way too uptight. If you aren't going to that school do you really think they will really analyze every single character you type when rejecting them? i can't believe people worry about this...

but, i think the best way to write the letter or phrase the phone call is "i've found a school much better than yours and plan to attend there"

So I just got accepted to a school that I really want to go to. Should I send out withdrawals to schools where I wasn't interviewed at (schools which i consider crappier) for the sheer sake of not getting rejections from them in a month or so? Besides, they didn't interview me and I got into a better school.
It's like being in a relationship and knowing it's about to end, and you and the other person sort of race to see who dumps who first.

:laugh:

Which school will you be attending?

Right now, UMDNJ- SOM. But I'm still waiting on at least one decision and a Waitlist or two, so the final verdict is still out.

So I just got accepted to a school that I really want to go to. Should I send out withdrawals to schools where I wasn't interviewed at (schools which i consider crappier) for the sheer sake of not getting rejections from them in a month or so? Besides, they didn't interview me and I got into a better school.
It's like being in a relationship and knowing it's about to end, and you and the other person sort of race to see who dumps who first.

As for this, it's your call. I pulled out of two schools I knew I wasn't going to so they wouldn't waste their time reviewing my file and maybe they'd get to someone else's sooner. I would have hated to get a late interview just to have to turn it down.

Is an email sufficient? Or do you need to send a letter as well.

I've been rejected twice by some schools. I feel as if I should at least withdraw from a school twice to even shiit out.

My schools required a written letter before they would refund my deposit. If you haven't given them any money yet an email would probably be sufficient. Either way an email would be courteous to the people waiting for spots as it will take some time for your letter to get delivered/processed.

My withdrawals from schools:

School 1: I forgot to check off the "I will not be attending" box and mail it back to them. For some reason, I ended up putting the letter away and assuming no response = not attending. They called me 2 weeks after my "deadline" for the deposit, and asked me what was going on. I was told to send them a withdrawal by email so they have it in writing. I wrote something like:

"Dear [person who called me]:

I am kfire326. I spoke to you on the phone earlier today. I will not be placing a deposit for XYZ medical school. [apology for my mistake, i appreciate consideration/acceptance, blah blah blah]

Thank you"

School 2: I got the acceptance with a piece of paper saying something along the lines of, "We're sorry for the inconvenience, we'll have the acceptance packets out in the second week of February," so all I got was the letter itself. I got a 3 week extension in writing from the dean of admissions himself, and he apologized etc etc. He promised that the acceptance packets would be delivered by then. That new deadline came and went, and still no acceptance packet...I haven't contacted them, and I don't plan on it.

School 3: These people were complete a**holes to me whenever I called. Friends of mine say the same thing. After an Interview offer, I emailed the admissions email address and just said "Dear ____ admissions: I was recently offered an invitation to interview. I will not be coming in for an interview, and would like my application for your M.D. program withdrawn. Thank you." I didn't really care to be professional with them, since they were not professional with me.

I was blessed with multiple DO acceptances. :D

Hey...I was also blessed with multiple DO acceptances!! Do they really send your "non" refundable deposit back? Plus, when do we have to withdraw by? I am planning on withdrawing one school now, but still waiting to withdraw the second because I am waiting on the third which is UMDNJ-SOM. Thanks!!!

Hey...I was also blessed with multiple DO acceptances!! Do they really send your "non" refundable deposit back? Plus, when do we have to withdraw by? I am planning on withdrawing one school now, but still waiting to withdraw the second because I am waiting on the third which is UMDNJ-SOM. Thanks!!!

No, it's non-refundable. You don't get it back!

That is what I thought. Do you know when the deadline is to send in the withdrawl?