letters of intent - school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so if you get into harvard med and want to go to u MCW, you can send MCW a letter saying you're in harvard.

how different do the rankings of schools need to be for this to be effective? what if one is mildly higher ranked? are these rankings based on PC and research us news?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do keep in mind that some schools have made offers to far more applicants than they have seats. They are betting their stomach lining on having dozens (hundreds!) of candidates turn them down. The waitlist is used in the unlikely event that after the dust settles they have an empty seat or two (or two dozen as the case may be when a school is in the upheaval of a new curriculum or an accreditation brouhaha).

The most likely unspoken response by MCW to hearing that you got into Harvard after MCW waitlisted you will be, "Oh, thank goodness! Nice to hear that the cycle went well with no need to reapply!"

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
A medical school admissions team will not view their school as lower ranked than another school. They will all look at themselves as providing a quality medical training.

Which a lot actually do! Recently, I was interested in Step 1 and Step 2 average scores relative to school “rankings.” I was very positively surprised. Schools ranked in the 60-70 range outperform a lot of schools in the T20-T30, so they must be doing “something” right there.

Reactions: 1 user
Which a lot actually do! Recently, I was interested in Step 1 and Step 2 average scores relative to school “rankings.” I was very positively surprised. Schools ranked in the 60-70 range outperform a lot of schools in the T20-T30, so they must be doing “something” right there.

Did you find that data by individually searching for it for each school, or is that info consolidated in one place online where you can easily sort by schools?