Letters of Intent.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedtiger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to write one of these to the University of South Carolina School of Medicine...is there anything particular that I should include, and is there anyone who wants to give me any ideas that helped you get off a waiting list???

Members don't see this ad.

premedtiger said:
I am about to write one of these to the University of South Carolina School of Medicine...is there anything particular that I should include, and is there anyone who wants to give me any ideas that helped you get off a waiting list???

I just wrote one. I am not sure it will help. But I just wanted them to know specific things I liked about the program and talked more about why I wanted to be a physician and why I felt it was imperative that I do it at that school. You may also want to include anything you have been doing since they interviewed you if there is anything new. I don;t know, i just figure showing interest can't be a bad thing. The guy I sent it to, emailed me today and said he added it to my file..but I don;t really know if that means anything, at least he read it.

good luck

If you've accomplished anything exciting since you submitted your application, you should mention that. Otherwise, just succinctly state your interest in the school. If your letter ends up being about a paragraph long, that is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
What do you think is too long for a LOI? Is 2 pages pushing it?

lolli said:
Hey guys,
What do you think is too long for a LOI? Is 2 pages pushing it?
hmm...just dont go over 2 pages...

I always think that less is more. You can be succinct. These are busy people. Say what you need to say and say it clearly. Be straight with them. Tell that if given the chance you will attend their school and that you will work hard to make a meaningful contribution to their school.

Just for future reference, when do people usually send in LOI's? Is it if you have been interviewed or waitlisted or still waiting for an answer after your interview etc. ?