Letters of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonkst

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it helps to send a letter of intent after an interview if you've made the decision that you want to go there, or should that just be if you're waitlisted?

Also, what exactly would you say in a letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad.

can some people please help out....what can i write in an LOI. im having trouble writing one and i have to do it like asap!! id really appreciate any help!
thanks and good luck to all!!!

Originally posted by trojan2004
can some people please help out....what can i write in an LOI. im having trouble writing one and i have to do it like asap!! id really appreciate any help!
thanks and good luck to all!!!

be polite...

write all the reasons why you want to go there and why it is your first choice. say your visit on interview day left you with no doubt that you wanted to go there etc...

and remember (well at least i think this is true) this is pretty much a legally binding document.

that should fill up about a page.

Members don't see this ad :)
for the one i sent (addressed the entire admissions committee) i just told them that their school was my top choice and that if accepted i would withdraw all other acceptances and applications. i then had a short paragraph explaining why they were my top choice. and that was it. so i don't think length is super-important. this isn't a high-school essay. write what you want to say, and however long it takes is fine. i would warn against rambling on about how great a school is though. i'd think that could make one look desperate, or just a bit like a kiss-up.

hmmmm....i have a very stupid question....what is a "letter of intent" i know what a letter of recommendation is...but not intent....?