Letters of Rec-asking professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbles17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys =)

i was wondering how do you guys approach a teacher for a letter of recommendation?

im applying next year and i realized i don't have any faculty recommendations. ACK! im more of a shy person and i don't want to look like a fool in front of the teacher

and my school is on a quarter system so we only have classes for 10wks....it seems like such a short amount of time to get to know a professor...

any advice on how to get to know a professor and then ask for a letter of rec?

:) and gluck to everyone apply now! you can do it!

Members don't see this ad.

bubbles17 said:
any advice on how to get to know a professor and then ask for a letter of rec?

I have two words for you, and those words are: "office hours". Okay one more, "lab". These are the times when you can actually get some one on one time with your professor. Ask questions about the material, but also it's good just to chat about general stuff as well so that they can get to know you a little as a person too. As for asking them, just be direct: "I am planning to apply to medical school, and I was wondering if you would be willing to write a strong letter of recommendation for me."

:luck:

assemble a packet with your grades, personal statement, any other pertinent information. request a meeting. dress nicely. articulate your goals. talk about it. they'll be impressed.