letters of rec content?

Started by deleted1017515
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1017515

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on asking 2 OD's and 2 Professors for a letter of rec. One of the professors is a non-science prof and the other will likely be a science prof.

One of the professors has already agreed to write me one and asked what information she would like her to include in it but I actually have no idea what kind of content is to be included in an LOR. Any advice?? I plan on sending her my personal statement and resume but what other info should i give her/ask her to write in it for me?

Thanks in advance!
 
Hey!

What I did for my professors/research mentors/OD was provide my resume, personal statement, unofficial transcript (downloaded from my school portal), and then I wrote all my recommenders a personal letter on why I value their perspective on my abilities to succeed in graduate school and a favorite memory about the class/shadowing experience. I guess what would vary is how WELL your professor knows you. I worked as a TA for one professor and a research assistant for the other so I knew them well and they would be able to speak towards my grades AND motivation/work ethic. This is not always the case and you want to refrain from the bulk of your letter being about what grade you got in the class/if you went to office hours/perfect attendance/etc. You want the letter to showcase WHY you chose optometry and the great qualities you display in the classroom that compliment that ambition. Needless to say, I would provide those 4 documents and then let them know if anything else would help!