• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

letters of rec content?

optopa

Nov 7, 2019
  1. Pre-Optometry
I plan on asking 2 OD's and 2 Professors for a letter of rec. One of the professors is a non-science prof and the other will likely be a science prof.

One of the professors has already agreed to write me one and asked what information she would like her to include in it but I actually have no idea what kind of content is to be included in an LOR. Any advice?? I plan on sending her my personal statement and resume but what other info should i give her/ask her to write in it for me?

Thanks in advance!

hellok111

May 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey!

What I did for my professors/research mentors/OD was provide my resume, personal statement, unofficial transcript (downloaded from my school portal), and then I wrote all my recommenders a personal letter on why I value their perspective on my abilities to succeed in graduate school and a favorite memory about the class/shadowing experience. I guess what would vary is how WELL your professor knows you. I worked as a TA for one professor and a research assistant for the other so I knew them well and they would be able to speak towards my grades AND motivation/work ethic. This is not always the case and you want to refrain from the bulk of your letter being about what grade you got in the class/if you went to office hours/perfect attendance/etc. You want the letter to showcase WHY you chose optometry and the great qualities you display in the classroom that compliment that ambition. Needless to say, I would provide those 4 documents and then let them know if anything else would help!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.