Letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbelle124

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been able to apply to optometry school or if anyone has gotten into optometry school without letters from previous professors? I have been graduated from undergrad for about a year and never had a close relationship with any professors and I am worried when it comes time to get those if I'll even be able to get a letter from a former professor. I work in an optometry office with four doctors who would be more than willing to write me letters but I know every school requires at least one letter from a previous professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.30.24 PM.png

I also used the same list that @Preopt2021 suggested as well, but I found that it didn't convey the whole story. Thus, I went to each school site to see what they listed as requirements for LORs and made this little list for schools that I was interested in!

I also had similar issues like yourself requesting LORs from professors (since I wasn't very close to any of them), but I reached out anyways and explained my situation after I graduated. You will get some professors that ignore you, but there were a couple that were very understanding and lended a helping hand. Don't be afraid to do the same!

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't hurt to ask! Compared to my peers I used to think you had to be bff's with a teacher and basically go to office hours every day to get a letter and I never had a relationship like that. Advice given to me was that you don't need that kind of relationship and as long as you did well in the class or worked hard they may write you a decent letter. Having a lot of doctors' letters though may make your profile stand out already. good luck!