Letters of Rec - does ethnicity matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthstudent69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first off I'm asian. I am planning on getting 4 letters of rec, with 2 of them being asian (the research professor I work for and a upper level bio writing professor). Will schools take into account that I am asian and half of the professors I am getting letters from are asian as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While we're on this topic... how do we go abouts getting LOR? I heard there was a website where we store them.... but not too sure. Would having them type, print and seal one up not work?

Cheers

While we're on this topic... how do we go abouts getting LOR? I heard there was a website where we store them.... but not too sure. Would having them type, print and seal one up not work?

Cheers

Yeah I used interfolio. Very easy and my professors/dentist I shadowed found it easy as well.

So first off I'm asian. I am planning on getting 4 letters of rec, with 2 of them being asian (the research professor I work for and a upper level bio writing professor). Will schools take into account that I am asian and half of the professors I am getting letters from are asian as well?

Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to picture how this letter would be

"To the admissions committee,
I'm writing a letter of recommendation for prehealthstudent69, an asian, as his biology professor, who also happens to be asian"

Reactions: 4 users
Are your letter writers going to sign your letter,

"Sincerely an Asian writing a letter of rec for another Asian."

Why does it even matter that your letter writers are Asian? This post is hilarious.

Bumpin' this post because it's hilarious, and I would love for doctoothache to comment.

Are you asking those two Asian professors "Hey, since we are Asians, can you write a letter for me?"

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure they don't have bad grammar...

Reactions: 3 users
I might be an anomaly, but i am white and 3 out of my four letter writers were also white and it didn't hold me back. However, i may have just been lucky they didn't catch it.

This is absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest posts on SDN i've seen.

NO it won't matter one bit. For rec letters they will look at 2 things: 1)Occupation of Recommender purely for Requirement the rec letter fills (i.e if you need rec letter from a bio prof, dentists, etc.) and 2)the content of the letter. Nothing else matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an American of African descent, an African American you might call it, I felt it would be advantageous to not have fellow blacks write my letters. I had considerable concerns about the commonality of our jargon, despite several reassurances about the the pervasive nature of the "rap culture". My misgivings aside, my decision to employ an entirely white pre-health committee and other letter writers was clearly the determining factor in my success.

Reactions: 5 users
Only up to 25% of your LOR writers can share your same ethnicity.

Reactions: 1 users
...and yes, we all caught that classy "69" on the end of your username.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

It's all about diversity. You need one of each color. Two Asians too much.

I might be an anomaly, but i am white and 3 out of my four letter writers were also white and it didn't hold me back. However, i may have just been lucky they didn't catch it.

forgive me if i don't shake hands

As an American of African descent, an African American you might call it, I felt it would be advantageous to not have fellow blacks write my letters. I had considerable concerns about the commonality of our jargon, despite several reassurances about the the pervasive nature of the "rap culture". My misgivings aside, my decision to employ an entirely white pre-health committee and other letter writers was clearly the determining factor in my success.

did you get "you're so well spoken!" at any of your interviews?

i did at one, and i was all "not sure if racist".

forgive me if i don't shake hands

I got a "You've done well for the son of chattel"...

I got a couple of those...and I was like "umm...Thank you?!"

do YOU even doc holliday quotes from tombstone

Ringo?

290wmxz.jpg

non sequitur gif

Seriously though, I understood the question, I was paranoid that the admissions committees would be worried because all of my LORs came from females. It's funny now to look back and remember all the stupid little details that I was paranoid about while applying. lol