Letters of Rec - How to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camccormick

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am prepping to apply to about 15 schools this spring. I am currently trying to get all my letters of rec in order so that there are no surprises come May. I'm having some difficulty figuring out the system for this, and was wondering if anyone could give clarification and advice.

What is interfolio? Can all letters be sent electronically now? Where can I find directions and deadlines to give to my letter writers? Anyone have a good timeline for this?

Members don't see this ad.

Interfolio is a letter storing service. Yes, you can get letters now. "prof X, I'm applying to medical school in June and was wondering, given your current time commitments and knowledge of me as a student, can you write me a strong letter of recommendation?"

If they say yes, enter name and email in interfolio, they get a link with instructions and BAM the letter is saved.

Make sure to attach a draft of your personal statement, letter guidelines, resume, and a list of things you would like them to talk about in the email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying this coming cycle, now is a bit too early to ask for letters. If I'm asked to write a letter that isn't due until May, I'm going to set it all aside and forget about it until late March or April. Better to ask in mid-March and set a deadline for them for about a week before the real deadline to give yourself time to chase them down if need be. If you're really devoted, you could even start asking in early March.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also asking for letter of recommendations right now!

Last edited: