Letters of Rec - International Professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year I plan to study abroad for the academic year. I'll also be applying from abroad next year 'cuz I'll still be there come June 2002 (jeez, i hope the online application thing is fixed by then). Anyway, I have arranged for 3 of the four letters of recommendations which I plan to have done for me. The last one, which I don't have, is a non-science prof (some schools require a non-science prof...). I'm thinking maybe I'll get a letter from a prof if I get to know one in the country I'll be in (Greece, actually). Anyone have any experience or ideas about this? I would think, since I'll be at an accredited university that it wouldn't matter. Nonetheless, it will be a random professor from Greece... i dunno... i'm just not sure yet. On top of that, one of my letters so far is from a professor at my current school who will be my faculty mentor for an independent study there while I'm there (independent of my formal university studies there). So.. basically, i don't wanna overdue the greece thing. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kreno:
• I'm thinking maybe I'll get a letter from a prof if I get to know one in the country I'll be in (Greece, actually). Anyone have any experience or ideas about this? •

I got two letters from faculty while I was at Oxford Brookes U. last fall. From what I've been told, these letters were very glowing, one prof went so far as to say I was the most active student she had ever seen (it didn't take much, since UK students are quite passive in the classroom). This type of letter, along with the novelty factor of coming from abroad should defintely help me. Use that short time to really ask about the difference in their educational system. I plan on teaching, so I had sincere interests. Show that you are not just a tourist passing through and they should reflect that in their letters :)