Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red58

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if doing an externship in Oct. and getting a letter of rec from the attending you work with is too late because then you won't end up submitting your completed app until Nov. I've heard that you should get it out ASAP to any IM program you want to apply to. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, that's not too late. You can keep submitting letters (up to 4 per program) until the application deadline. That's something that a lot of people didn't really get in my class this year -- that the ERAS application is very piecemeal. You get the CAF in (your CV, basically) ASAP after ERAS opens, then your other pieces (letters, transcript, MSPE) trickle in as they are completed.

That being said, if it's a competitive program, they may fill all of their interview spots in Oct/Nov before your letter gets there. Just make sure you have at least 3 other letters and you should be fine.