letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersbaby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about how many letters we need and from who. so far i have one from my biology professor, chemistry professor and one from a doctor i worked with in the ER. how many more do i need? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lakersbaby said:
I was just curious about how many letters we need and from who. so far i have one from my biology professor, chemistry professor and one from a doctor i worked with in the ER. how many more do i need? thanks

Well first check if your school has a pre-med committee that writes a composite letter.

Regardless, you should have about 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 physician or supervisor. The physician can count for your non-science.

Have any non-science professor you could get one from? Of course if you do have the pre-med committee those distinctions don't matter.

most med schools prefer the committee leter, its the most efficient and the most helpful to them. If not, its usually three letters of recs. You might want to have a non-science rec if you can get one, theyll want to see that you're bringing something outside of JUSt science to the table, which every applicant they probably see probably has.

I think it's best to get a wide variety of letters, as some schools have different requirements. You can then pick and choose which to send to which schools.

I don't have a premed committee, but my school had a letter service.
I got the following letters:

1 genetics prof
1 bio prof/ my advisor
1 english prof

(or 2 sci, 1 nonsci - faculty members)

then I got

1 employer
1 dean of undergrad studies (kind of like a committee letter, but not)
1 from my research PI

Get any letters you can - then you can pick and choose which to send. Hope this helps!