Letters of Recomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitogen79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

just wondering what you guys are doing for letters of recomendations... I've asked one neurologist, one oncologist and one ENT surgeon for letters... since CAS only takes 3 letters, is that a good diverse pick to get, or is it better to get 2 neurologists and someone else?

vish~

Members don't see this ad.

I sent 3 letters consisting of 2 from neurologists and one from a family practice doc. My advice would be to include two neuro letters with another letter that is very flattering no matter specialty. Get them soon because u should send ur app in soon. I sent mine on Mon and they got it on Tues. If u can only get 1 neuro letter that is fine.

i have two neuro folks, one senior/well known in the field, one junior(who knows me better), and one IM doc who knows me very well...i suppose its better if you have two neuro, however if you dont and the 3 are really good, it should be fine..granted, the sooner the better, but I wouldnt let the last post worry you too much. most people i know from the previous yr got in their apps at the end of august, and i know several folks who sent in their apps very late after the suggested deadline, and matched at some of the best programs in the country(according to folks here etc.
scm

ps some people use different combo of LORs for ERAS/prelim(vs Sf Match, with some overlap), i.e. often include one from someone in IM etc for prelim.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got two from neurologists (my advisor and the department chair), and one from a psychiatrist that I really got along well with. I'm still waiting on two of the letters and buffing my statement. I hope to have it in the mail in the next two weeks or so.

2 neurologists (chair of neuro.. and attending who knew me personally)
1 IM - chair of IM.. because i needed him for ERAS.. so i might as well use him for the SF match

using the same 3 letters for ERAS

I have a question guys...with the SFMatch, is there no way we can send more than 3 LORs so we can choose a specific LOR for a particular program? I know this is possible with ERAS.

nope, not possible(I'm petty sure). with ERAS, you scan in a bunch and can desigate where/who gets them, vs SF match where youre physically sending them in(3) and they distribute them..
scm

What would be better then, a very good LOR from a junior faculty or an LOR from the Chair?

residenttobe said:
What would be better then, a very good LOR from a junior faculty or an LOR from the Chair?

A complimentary LOR from a department chair would be better received during interview time. Both would be preferred.

scm said:
nope, not possible(I'm petty sure). with ERAS, you scan in a bunch and can desigate where/who gets them, vs SF match where youre physically sending them in(3) and they distribute them..
scm

This is actually incorrect. You can have an extra letter of recc. if you read CAS CAREFULLY!!! If your smart, you should be doing a neuro rotation now or next block and you are allowed to send a letter from a doc that you are currently doing a neuro rotation with if you sent your CAS out during that rotation block. This letter is called a LATE LETTER. Read CAS if you haven't already. I got a late letter from the chief at Hahnemann, where I am most likely going for residency.

Thank you for your post but if I'm currently not doing any rotations as you described. Is there any other way?

I am an IMG and have already taken 3 neuro lors, and 2 of them are good letters from indian big shots. I also have taken 3 internal medicine, which are all good.

which ones should i choose to send.

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST TAKE THE BEST. YOU ARE AN IMG AND ARE ALREADY AT A DISADVANTAGE. hARD TO ACCEPT, HORRIBLE TO SAY, BUT MORE OF A FACT THEN MY PENIS IS 10 INCHES LONG. JUST USE 2 NEURO AND 1 IM, CLOSE YOUR EYES, AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

this is _not_what was asked. read msgs CAREFULLY before stating they are incorrect. heh or partially incorrect... you _cannot_ include more than 3 letters _and_ designate where/what program you want each to go w/SF match(like you can in ERAS), correct me if I'm wrong.

i thought Hahnemann closed? is it Drexel now? still deciding if I would be ok with living in phili...

scm

marchiafava said:
This is actually incorrect. You can have an extra letter of recc. if you read CAS CAREFULLY!!! If your smart, you should be doing a neuro rotation now or next block and you are allowed to send a letter from a doc that you are currently doing a neuro rotation with if you sent your CAS out during that rotation block. This letter is called a LATE LETTER. Read CAS if you haven't already. I got a late letter from the chief at Hahnemann, where I am most likely going for residency.

No, hahnemann is alive and "well". I believe it is still called Hahnemann, although it is listed as Drexel U on CAS. Philly is a cool place to be and Hahnemann is a great Neuro residency. Dr Schwartzman is the Chief and he is very well known and very good and runs a great residency program. Residents generally get fellowships at top places(last year was Hopkins, Wash U, Rochester, Mas Gen) because of him.

I am applying to 10 other neuro programs in the country, all top ten, and will see where I get interviews but really like Hahnemann.

P.S. I meant u can give an extra letter after u send the original three. Sorry for the miscommunication.

You know the old saying "the thicker the application, the thicker the applicant". I'm not sure that having a fourth letter provides any advantage.

GopherBrain said:
You know the old saying "the thicker the application, the thicker the applicant". I'm not sure that having a fourth letter provides any advantage.

What the hell does that mean??

If you try to add a bunch of extra stuff to make your application especially thick (definition #1), you are probably just trying to overcompensate for the fact that you are thick (definition #9).

thick
adj. thick?er, thick?est

A. Relatively great in extent from one surface to the opposite, usually in the smallest solid dimension; not thin: a thick board.
B. Measuring a specified number of units in this dimension: two inches thick.

2. Heavy in form, build, or stature; thickset: a thick neck.
3. Having component parts in a close, crowded state or arrangement; dense:a thick forest.
4. Having or suggesting a heavy or viscous consistency: thick tomato sauce.
5. Having a great number; abounding: a room thick with flies.
6. Impenetrable by the eyes: a thick fog.
A. Not easy to hear or understand; indistinctly articulated: the thick speech of a drunkard.
B. Producing indistinctly articulated sounds: the thick tongues of barbarians.
8. Strongly apparent; conspicuous: a thick brogue.
9. Informal. Lacking mental agility; stupid.
10. Informal. Very friendly; intimate: thick friends.
11. Informal. Going beyond what is tolerable; excessive.

GopherBrain said:
If you try to add a bunch of extra stuff to make your application especially thick (definition #1), you are probably just trying to overcompensate for the fact that you are thick (definition #9).

thick
adj. thick?er, thick?est

A. Relatively great in extent from one surface to the opposite, usually in the smallest solid dimension; not thin: a thick board.
B. Measuring a specified number of units in this dimension: two inches thick.

2. Heavy in form, build, or stature; thickset: a thick neck.
3. Having component parts in a close, crowded state or arrangement; dense:a thick forest.
4. Having or suggesting a heavy or viscous consistency: thick tomato sauce.
5. Having a great number; abounding: a room thick with flies.
6. Impenetrable by the eyes: a thick fog.
A. Not easy to hear or understand; indistinctly articulated: the thick speech of a drunkard.
B. Producing indistinctly articulated sounds: the thick tongues of barbarians.
8. Strongly apparent; conspicuous: a thick brogue.
9. Informal. Lacking mental agility; stupid.
10. Informal. Very friendly; intimate: thick friends.
11. Informal. Going beyond what is tolerable; excessive.

hahahaha
I disagree.

good one there gopher.

i thought neuro specific letters would be better than IM letters.
or is it that one im letter is kinda mandatory?

I don't think an IM letter is mandatory. I think a letter from a non-surgical core rotation (aside from neurology) is a good idea, and IM is a good example of that. I'd say a stong letter from Psych, Peds, Family Practice, etc would be just as helpful.

On the other hand, it is nice to have an IM letter when applying for a medicine preliminary year, so if you choose to get one for the neuro match, you are killing two birds with one stone.

yeah, most residency directors apparently would like one non-Neuro letter. the fields mentioned above make good sense. I'm using someone I know well in a non-neuro field for my 3rd letter, but a different IM letter from my medicine clerkship director, for my ERAS prelim..

How many of you have read your LORs? I waived the option on all of mine, and I haven't received informal copies either. The curiousity is getting to me... Fortunately, I know all of my writers well and I'm confident that they wrote very positive letters.

When I applied, I got one letter from the chairman of neurology who i did my core neurology clerkship with. One letter from the chairman of medicine who i did my core inpatient medicine clerkship with. And one from a medicine attending who i did my my core outpatient medicine clerkship with.

How did I choose my letters? I knew I needed the neuro letter. The other two were chosen from a possible six letters. I began collecting letters of recommendation from many of my attendings after each core rotation ended. since i waived my right to see the letters, i asked the lady at the office of student affairs who collected all of the letters to pick out the best ones.

i received interviews at most of the programs that i applied to: U of C, NU, Rush, Baylor, UT Houston, Michigan, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, U Wash, Wash U, Oregon Health, Duke, Emory, Cleveland Clinic, Mt. Sinai, NYU. I applied but didn't get interviews at Columbia, Cornell.