General Admissions & OTCAS Letters of Recommendation Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAF710

Reaction score
Hi!

Currently I am in the process of reapplying to OT programs (mostly, if not all, MOT). This is my second cycle that I am applying to, but applications don't open up for another month or so I believe.

I have re-asked two out of my three past writers of my LORs but am wondering how to more formally re-ask a professor that wrote me a letter last cycle?

Also, I need advice on whether or not I should ask two more professionals for a LOR. The first one is an OT I have been shadowing since last year and I am now working on a project with her. We mostly text to communicate because she never checks her emails, and I don't see her too often. But I don't know if texting to ask is inappropriate.

The second one is the head of the department that I volunteered for at the hospital. This one I am more hesitant about because we didn't talk too much and she doesn't know a ton about me, but I saw her twice per week for six months. Her last email to me she said if I ever need a reference to reach out. But I know a reference and a LOR aren't the same, right?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I also reapplied for a second time and had to re-ask a professor to re-submit a LOR. I kept it pretty professional and straightforward, basically letting them know that I didn't get into any programs this cycle and am preparing to re-apply this upcoming cycle. I also let them know that they just really need to re-submit it and not have to write a completely new letter.

As for your other LORs, I think generally most programs accept just 3 but if your really feel that these other two LORs would be beneficial for your application, then I'd say go for it. For the OT, I suggest the next time you see her to bring it up in person, even if it's just brief. From my experience, the OTs that I've worked with understand the process that we're going through and are usually more than happy to help. After you get the ok from her in person, then email her and give her a substantial amount of time to write you a letter.

As for the head of the department you volunteer for, that one is a little more tricky just because it doesn't sound like she knows enough to write a letter for you. She might be ok to fill out like an evaluation sheet, but keep in mind that LORs are suppose to really make you shine and the way schools get a sense of who you are before they make a decision about your application. But I mean who knows? If you think she will say amazing things about you then I suggest you bring it up in person and see how she reacts to it.

Don't know if this is much help, but good luck!

I was unaware OTCAS purges LORs after each application season so I will have to be re-asking for LORs too. That's so unpleasant. One would think LORs could be retained for an extended period of time after upload.