Letters of Recommendation dilemma--HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, ok here is my situation. I currently have 1 letter from my professor whose classes I've been in since I started my masters in epidemiology prog fall 2001. Infact he interviewed me in April 2001, while in undergrad to get into my masters program. I've been in 3 of his classes, average class size 10people, and we interact quite heavily. Even though I'm the butt of his jokes in class:( This is a science one

The 2nd person writing my letter is my boss, who is the Asst Dean of student affairs at my schl's medical schl. I've worked in the office for 5yrs, and under her for 4years. I did a lot of volunteer, and summer enrichment programs thru her and the schl. She is like a mentor She knows a lot about me, and has seen me go from the confused undergraduate pre-med to a more focused grad student. So this is a nonscience one

Now my dilemma is the 3rd one, on one hand I've my graduate program in epidemiology director, whose TA I was for a semester Jan-May 2002. We interacted heavily, talked about everything from politics, to birthing places to college students to making his wife whose a doctor pay for everything. He is also on my schl's medical schl admission's committee :) Well he knows me quite a bit, but its just been for about a semester.
On the other hand, I've my undergrad advisor in microbiology, our program chairperson, who supposedly knew me for 4yrs, and could create a letter for me in a heartbeat. But we never really had a genuine interaction.

I know some med schls want 4, but the med schl at my schl, which is 1 of my top choices wants 3, and I dunno which one to use for the 3rd science one???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't send more than double the number of letters they request it is not only acceptable, but probably in your favor, to send as many as you have. So get all 4. On the other hand be aware that some schools that require letters insist that it be someone who actually taught you in a class. I had to replace my 'non-science' letter for one school which rejected an employer, and an MD, and insisted it had to be a faculty member who had actually taught me some non-science subject. Most schools aren't this rigid.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
As long as you don't send more than double the number of letters they request it is not only acceptable, but probably in your favor, to send as many as you have. So get all 4. On the other hand be aware that some schools that require letters insist that it be someone who actually taught you in a class. I had to replace my 'non-science' letter for one school which rejected an employer, and an MD, and insisted it had to be a faculty member who had actually taught me some non-science subject. Most schools aren't this rigid.

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and do that:)