Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor or bust

asdf
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So before it's mentioned, I have skimmed through some of the other posts and haven't found any direct answer to this question.

When I ask a physician for a letter of recommendation, how do they send it to me? Do they email it or submit it online or something? What is the process as I've never been formally introduced as to how this happens. I plan to ask a physician or two that I've been with for what I feel like is long enough (about 25 hours of shadowing with each) and I'm heading back to school soon. If I ask them for a LoR, where should I have them send it?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want it now, use a letter storing service like interfolio. You need to create an account and pay a free. If it's closer to application time, you can use the AMCAS letter managing service. All you need to do is enter the doctor's email when requesting a letter and they get details on how/ where to submit. You should also include a personal statement, resume, and other things you want the doctor to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Create an account with Interfolio and have the physician(s) send it there- it's worth the money, especially if you end up needing to reapply or you apply to both MD and DO. When it comes time to work on your application, you can transfer your LORs from Interfolio to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS.

Keep in mind, however, that unless the physician knows you well as a person, the letter isn't going to mean very much (unless it's a DO physician, which a lot of DO schools require). Many schools only ask for 3 letters: 2 science and 1 nonscience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on applying MD and DO. I definitely would like to have at least one DO letter, should I even bother getting a letter from an MD?

I plan on applying MD and DO. I definitely would like to have at least one DO letter, should I even bother getting a letter from an MD?

Try Interfolo.

They're not that useful for MD schools. Only a few schools expect them (Utah, UA-Phoenix, and RF IIRC).

Reactions: 1 user
And a "clinical" letter is fine in AZ (it doesn't have to be a physician).

So you think a nurse you worked directly under would be better than a physician shadowing letter, for example? I know employer letters are a bit more useful for this reason (physician you scribed for or something).

So you think a nurse you worked directly under would be better than a physician shadowing letter, for example? I know employer letters are a bit more useful for this reason (physician you scribed for or something).
It is definitely better to have someone who knows you!
Shadowing letters are useless (for MD).

Reactions: 1 users