Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kreinstein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that the AADSAS only allows 4 letters of recommendation. I have shadowed 3 dentist in total, all of which I feel I've worked towards what would be a very strong and convincing letter of recommendation. My only concern is most schools requirement for 2 from a science professor. I have because of this obtained two letters from science professors and will obviously use both.

But now my dilemma, how do I decide between the three dentists I've shadowed? They all attended my in-state schools, two of which at my first choice. Would those be my best bet? I have done more hours with the doctor who attended my second choice, should I include him for diversification?

I understand there will be conflicting viewpoints here and ultimately it will come down to my decision, just really looking for some tips or feedback. Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that the AADSAS only allows 4 letters of recommendation. I have shadowed 3 dentist in total, all of which I feel I've worked towards what would be a very strong and convincing letter of recommendation. My only concern is most schools requirement for 2 from a science professor. I have because of this obtained two letters from science professors and will obviously use both.

But now my dilemma, how do I decide between the three dentists I've shadowed? They all attended my in-state schools, two of which at my first choice. Would those be my best bet? I have done more hours with the doctor who attended my second choice, should I include him for diversification?

I understand there will be conflicting viewpoints here and ultimately it will come down to my decision, just really looking for some tips or feedback. Thank you so much in advance!
Ask them to collab to write one like a committee letter or pick one that attended your dream school.

Ask them to collab to write one like a committee letter or pick one that attended your dream school.
Oo, really? I've never heard of this. Is this something others do often enough that my dentists might've already done it? I'd hate to ask them to do something they're uncomfortable with. Have you done this yourself and how did it work out? And how did you go about asking the dentists? They are all extremely down to Earth and very nice however being so unaware of this I'd like to figure out best way to approach the idea.

Anybody else have success using this method?

Members don't see this ad :)

you want a letter of rec from a general dentist
if you shadowed multiple general dentists, i would choose the one that you shadowed the most/will write you the best letter of rec possible/knows you the best

Oo, really? I've never heard of this. Is this something others do often enough that my dentists might've already done it? I'd hate to ask them to do something they're uncomfortable with. Have you done this yourself and how did it work out? And how did you go about asking the dentists? They are all extremely down to Earth and very nice however being so unaware of this I'd like to figure out best way to approach the idea.

Anybody else have success using this method?

No I have not done it because I have only shadowed one dentist and Idk if anyone has done it, just my opinion. each dentist can write a unique personal trait about you and put them all together with all their names at the end would look dope. IDK if your dentists would be comfortable to do it, but wouldnt hurt to ask LOL.

Another option... if your confident they will write you a strong LOR have all of them write one and send the additional letters directly to the school. I did this for two schools I applied to and was accepted to both.