letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancelover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up a 3rd year core rotation and one attending has offered to write me a letter. Would you suggest that i go ahead and have him write the letter now (at least a rough draft) while his memory of me is fresh, or should i wait until application time and contact him then? Not sure of the typical way to handle this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

go ahead and have him write the letter now. you can go ahead and pick which letters you want to send out to programs later. even if you do not send this letter, the comments made from this letter will be mentioned on your dean's letter. i wish i had the OB/GYN attending who offered a LOR write me one - at least there would be some comments on me in that section of the dean's letter.

Definitely do it NOW! This attending likely works with dozens of students and residents each month...so sooner is better. And the fact that this person approached you and asked to write you a letter means that he thinks highly of you and will probably write a great letter. Most schools have a sort of cover letter or address that people can send your letters to so that they get added to your file, and then can be easily uploaded to your ERAS application come app time next fall. Find out what your school does to make sure the letter makes it to the right place.

Ummmm,

I don't think that LOR contents make it on to the dean's letter. At least at my school, they only include the final written evaluations from each core clerkship...