Letter of Recommendation "power" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m_taha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm an IMG applying for the 2020 Match. I have very little USCE. As a graduate (2018) they're mostly observerships and externships (< 12 weeks)
In terms of a LoR...
I have a few LoR from doctors who have/are:
1 - Graduated from home country but did residency and fellowship in the US (board certified), but currently practice back home - guaranteed good LoR
2 - Not a US board certified physician but is head of training and residency program in a major hospital back home - guaranteed good LoR
3 - U.S. physician who I briefly worked with as an observer (not hands on) but in a good institution - not guaranteed good LoR
4 - U.S. physician who I plan on briefly working with as an extern (+/- hands on - you know how these things go) - not guaranteed good LoR
5 - Canadian physician not recent but good LoR in specialty

What is the order of "power" of these LoR?

Because I only get to assign 3 LoR to programs, I have no idea which to favor over the other!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty are you applying into? Are 1 & 2 also in your specialty of choice? Also, you can assign up to 4 letters to a program in ERAS.

4 is probably going to be your most important letter, given that it's a US letter and can potentially reflect more than a pure observership would. I'd focus on trying to knock that externship out of the park. My guess is that 1 would be the next useful letter, and then 3 & 2 in some order as an additional US LOR and an additional positive LOR. 5 sounds like it'd be weakest if it's old & not from a US physician, imo.

What specialty are you applying into? Are 1 & 2 also in your specialty of choice? Also, you can assign up to 4 letters to a program in ERAS.

4 is probably going to be your most important letter, given that it's a US letter and can potentially reflect more than a pure observership would. I'd focus on trying to knock that externship out of the park. My guess is that 1 would be the next useful letter, and then 3 & 2 in some order as an additional US LOR and an additional positive LOR. 5 sounds like it'd be weakest if it's old & not from a US physician, imo.

Hey!

Thanks for replying!

I'm applying to pediatrics and child neurology. 1 is by non-pediatric attendings but mention my interest in pediatrics and child neurology. 2 is by a pediatrician.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Hey!

Thanks for replying!

I'm applying to pediatrics and child neurology. 1 is by non-pediatric attendings but mention my interest in pediatrics and child neurology. 2 is by a pediatrician.

Thank you so much for the advice!

I don’t know too many details about the app process for either, but I imagine you’d definitely want 1-2 pedi neurology letters for your pedi neuro app and 1-2 peds letters for your peds app, since that seems to be fairly standard across specialties. As an IMG, having at least 1 US letter for each would likely help as well. 1 letter from an unrelated specialty is fine (I had 1 good but unrelated letter myself), but I’d think you’d want the majority to support your application in that given field.

Best of luck in figuring out your letter situation.

Hi guys - IMG here as well. Had a question about LORs...I’ve got one from IM USCE and one from peds USCE. I think they’re both specific to their respective specialty. My question is how terrible is it if I send a peds specific letter to IM and vice versa? I wanted to use my US LORs because they’re more weighted

Ask your letter writers to change it to a more generic, or even better, specialty specific. Otherwise, they may think you're using them as a back up.

Thanks! They are both specialty specific. So I’m guessing it would be bad to use the IM specific one to peds? I basically want to use both US attendings letter and to have USCE to show for.