Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do podiatry schools require a composite letter of recommendation if your school has a pre-medical committee that composes composite letters? If your school does have a pre-medical committee, can you bypass this step and just send in your letters straight to the school you apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have seen on the school websites, they ask that they be sent directly from the source.

I have not had a problem with them being sent by the school. I don't have a pre-med committee, so I had to ask for individual letters. Just make sure you ask for them early so that way, you can track them down if they get "lost" or the writers are taking too long.

You also may want to call the schools and see what they want you to do. :)

I think sending letters by committee is optional. I asked at my undergrad, and they've done committee letters for podiatry school applicants before. Also, there's a pdf somewhere on the site for podiatric colleges that says what each school requires in terms of letters of recommendation, admission, etc., and on that pdf most of the schools say they accept either individual letters or committee letters. You can always ask your adviser the best option. I know for MD/DO med school, my advisers used to say that it made you look a little sketchy if you bypass a committee if it's available because they give a "stamp of approval" that they believe that you're the right person for the profession/school, but pod school might look at it differently. Maybe someone who's actually gone through the process of applying already can give you a little more insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a podiatrist who's associate professor at a residency for one letter and she sent it on letterhead and also a physiology professor. Just give them the adresses of the admissions where the letters should be sent.

My school has a school has a commitee, but I'm thinking I'm just going to ask my teachers to send letters straight to the schools I'm applying to. I'm planning to apply for the class entering in 2008. When is the earliest I can start sending in my letters to the schools I am applying to? I want to go ahead and ask my professors for letters soon, but I'm worried it's too early for them to send them in to the schools yet.

Most schools have a rolling admissions, so you could send the LORs now, then when you send your app in the Fall, your file will be complete. It's best to get the recs when you are still fresh in the minds of your professors. But, again, when in doubt make the phone call to the admissions office. They are there to field these questions, so don't worry about it.

I think most schools might accept a composite letter from a pre-med committee, but most will still want a letter from a DPM you have shadowed in addition to that. Maybe contact the admissions department to see what your best bet is.

When I applied, I went for a balanced approach:
-DPM letter to show my experience with and interest in the profession
-academic letter from undergrad PhD professor (I actually sent two - one bioch prof, one cell bio)
-social/character/work reference letter from a supervisor at the hospital I worked at

Do podiatry schools require a composite letter of recommendation if your school has a pre-medical committee that composes composite letters? If your school does have a pre-medical committee, can you bypass this step and just send in your letters straight to the school you apply to?

Each school is slightly different. Some require a letter or 2 more. Most will accept a composite letter, but often they would also like a letter from a health care professional you shadowed (preferentially a pod). Good luck