Cannot secure science faculty letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshualander

Reaction score
I have been having extreme difficulty in securing science professor recommendation letters. This past semester I did wonderful and had an A in microbio. I got to know the professor through zoom, email conversations, etc…When I asked for a letter she stated since we never met in person, she didn’t feel comfortable writing one. I have received similar responses from others. I have reached out to prior precovid professors but have not received responses. I have no idea what to do! I’m worried that applying in august will not work because of this. I have my community college advisor and university advisor willing to write me letters. Would these suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just reach out to whatever professor you know best and explain the situation i.e. I'm required to get a letter, nobody wants to write one because of COVID, and politely ask they reconsider. I think most professors would be understanding. This coming from someone who was asked by several professors to write my own letter of recommendation that they could just then sign...

I would just reach out to whatever professor you know best and explain the situation i.e. I'm required to get a letter, nobody wants to write one because of COVID, and politely ask they reconsider. I think most professors would be understanding. This coming from someone who was asked by several professors to write my own letter of recommendation that they could just then sign...
I have reached out to previous professors prior to covid that I knew in person and either none have responded, probably cause the last time I took in person classes was 2019 and they don’t remember me or they have stated that they don’t know me well enough due to large class size. I have asked several but it’s all the same responses. The one I got to know the most via zoom over this past semester isn’t writing a letter for anyone that has asked during covid because she believes in person relationships are best. I feel as though I’m running out of options.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly cannot find someone to write letters for you, then I would reach out to the schools you plan on applying to explaining your situation and see if they will allow the advisor letters. Make sure to find a DPM to get a letter from.

Reactions: 3 users
If you truly cannot find someone to write letters for you, then I would reach out to the schools you plan on applying to explaining your situation and see if they will allow the advisor letters. Make sure to find a DPM to get a letter from.
So far Temple has made an exception. Need to contact the others. Waiting to hear back from a DPM my grandmother knows to start shadowing her.

I have been having extreme difficulty in securing science professor recommendation letters. This past semester I did wonderful and had an A in microbio. I got to know the professor through zoom, email conversations, etc…When I asked for a letter she stated since we never met in person, she didn’t feel comfortable writing one. I have received similar responses from others. I have reached out to prior precovid professors but have not received responses. I have no idea what to do! I’m worried that applying in august will not work because of this. I have my community college advisor and university advisor willing to write me letters. Would these suffice?

If the Micro professor has a lab on campus, can you shadow/intern her for the LOR? Even a week should be enough for a letter since you got an A in the course. Otherwise, contacting the programs directly, as stated by Podstar, should be the other option.

Reactions: 1 user
If the Micro professor has a lab on campus, can you shadow/intern her for the LOR? Even a week should be enough for a letter since you got an A in the course. Otherwise, contacting the programs directly, as stated by Podstar, should be the other option.
I didn’t think of that! She does have a lab on campus. I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user