Letters of recommendations for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am current a small animal rotating intern at an academic institution. I am interested in radiology. I am terrified that I won’t be able to get a recommendation from a radiologist from my internship. When I’m on clinics with radiology, I barely interact with the faculty as guests on the radiology service interact mainly with the residents. It seems like I am bothering the radiologists when I directly speak to them. I don’t know what to do. I have gotten to know the residents well but it doesn’t feel like enough. I have a recommendation from my radiologist from my vet school but I feel like one from my rotating is important as well. None have any projects they need help with. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am current a small animal rotating intern at an academic institution. I am interested in radiology. I am terrified that I won’t be able to get a recommendation from a radiologist from my internship. When I’m on clinics with radiology, I barely interact with the faculty as guests on the radiology service interact mainly with the residents. It seems like I am bothering the radiologists when I directly speak to them. I don’t know what to do. I have gotten to know the residents well but it doesn’t feel like enough. I have a recommendation from my radiologist from my vet school but I feel like one from my rotating is important as well. None have any projects they need help with. Any advice?

Do the faculty know you are interested in radiology? The first step is making it known to them that you are interested in it if they don't already. Are you allowed or able to attend any rounds (journal club, board prep, KCC) that the faculty does with their residents? It's unfortunate that none of them have projects they need or want help with, that was the main way that I got to know one of the faculty well at my internship. You could ask about any cases they have ready and waiting to be written up? It's not a full research project but still something to work with them on. When I was an intern I attended Journal Club with radiology as much as I could depending on my schedule, and just was in radiology as often as possible with my own cases (following them to ultrasound if I didn't have other things I had to be doing), always going down to consult with the residents. If the faculty are around and see you making an effort they will also take note of it.