Letters of reference for externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CloudlessNights

Tufts c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! I had a quick questions about letters of reference for 3rd/4th year externships. Obviously I only just finished my first year a few months ago, but I was curious about several zoo externships that say the earlier the better on externship applications.

I would plan on getting these out near the end of my second year. When they ask for letters of reference, do they have to be from professors/clinicians at school? I've worked as a tech for one doctor at a clinic for my house for several years, and I feel like she knows me better than I know myself sometimes. I plan to work with her next year as well. If they should be from clinicians or professors at school, that's fine, though. I just wasn't clear on typical protocol.

Thanks for any help you can provide!