Level 1 score...seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 422.

Just from my score, which fields of medicine do I have a good shot at, which do I have an ok shot at?

What all should I do from here on out to improve my chances at a specific residency within that field?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I would say your ability to match will come down to the other components of your application. In the last two years my school had people match into EM, FM, IM, OB/GYN, Gen surg, neuro, ophtho, and ENT with scores < 422. Of course the mean scores of those who matched are well above that for the majority of those fields.

Page 18 here might also be helpful: http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2012.pdf

Last edited:
How do you match ENT or Optho with a score in that area? What else are these people doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you match ENT or Optho with a score in that area? What else are these people doing?
Yeah, not sure who those people were and what they did to be such good applicants. The lowest from my school (last year) was 417 for ENT/plastics and ophtho at 402. This year the lowest for those specialties were 430 and 463, respectively. The mean scores were well over a hundred points above that, however.

My point is that board scores aren't everything.

One key thing a residents have mentioned when applying to AOA residencies that are competitive is to audition at the programs you want to attend. A good chunk of programs look at the personality of the student they work with and this gives that boost the applicant need, especially when lacking in academics.

Reactions: 1 user
One key thing a residents have mentioned when applying to AOA residencies that are competitive is to audition at the programs you want to attend. A good chunk of programs look at the personality of the student they work with and this gives that boost the applicant need, especially when lacking in academics.
Yep, I don't think there's any way people with scores that low would get a spot without seriously impressing the attendings in said specialty at their base hospital/away rotation/wherever the residency is. You can pretty much be guaranteed a spot if the people there like you and the work that you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, I don't think there's any way people with scores that low would get a spot without seriously impressing the attendings in said specialty at their base hospital/away rotation/wherever the residency is. You can pretty much be guaranteed a spot if the people there like you and the work that you do.

How many audition rotation should a student aim for? Fill every elective month with an audition?

I scored a 422.

Just from my score, which fields of medicine do I have a good shot at, which do I have an ok shot at?

What all should I do from here on out to improve my chances at a specific residency within that field?

The COMLEX is a weird test, its hard to get a high score on it versus the USMLE. Maybe you should also take the Step 1 as well.

The COMLEX is a weird test, its hard to get a high score on it versus the USMLE. Maybe you should also take the Step 1 as well.
It is possible but unlikely that a student who scored a 422 on COMLEX with his best effort would earn a good enough score on step 1 to make the effort and expense worthwhile

Last edited:
Not too familiar with COMLEX, but if one were to make a 'direct comparison' with USMLE Step 1, what would a 422 COMLEX translate into?

Not too familiar with COMLEX, but if one were to make a 'direct comparison' with USMLE Step 1, what would a 422 COMLEX translate into?
A 422 was in the 10th percentile last year. So maybe something around a 205?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A 422 was in the 10th percentile last year. So maybe something around a 205?

But it's also about 1/4 standard deviation above failing so it could be seen as 197ish. So maybe 197-205?

Regarding the low scores for competitive specialties: the osteopathic world is a world of "knowing someone" and doing audition rotations.

do you believe this will go away after the merger or will traditionally AOA residencies still operate like this?

In my experience 10th percentile on comlex is not equal to 10th percentile on usmle. He likely would not have passed step 1.

Yeah, not sure who those people were and what they did to be such good applicants. The lowest from my school (last year) was 417 for ENT/plastics and ophtho at 402. This year the lowest for those specialties were 430 and 463, respectively. The mean scores were well over a hundred points above that, however.

My point is that board scores aren't everything.

Where are you getting this data? This is specifically from your school someone matching ENT with that score? Because the new osteopathic report hasn't come out yet with the Comlex ranges. I find it very hard to believe someone matched with that score unless it's the one program I'm thinking about...

Where are you getting this data? This is specifically from your school someone matching ENT with that score? Because the new osteopathic report hasn't come out yet with the Comlex ranges. I find it very hard to believe someone matched with that score unless it's the one program I'm thinking about...
Yep, specifically from faculty/staff at my school regarding our students. I can't verify it as being 100% correct, though.

I know its possible to match into anything, but i was more curious about fields that i have a good shot at. so far my list is:

Psych
Family Med

Am I missing any fields?

I know its possible to match into anything, but i was more curious about fields that i have a good shot at. so far my list is:

Psych
Family Med

Am I missing any fields?
OMM/NMM
IM
Preventive Medicine

All of this depends on what the rest of your application looks like, including your grades/class rank, MSPE, LORs, extracurriculars, auditions, and interviews.

OMM/NMM
IM
Preventive Medicine

All of this depends on what the rest of your application looks like, including your grades/class rank, MSPE, LORs, extracurriculars, auditions, and interviews.

Thanks for the feedback.
I wasn't sure if IM was dooable for me because most programs listed a minimum of 500 for DO students (but those were ACGME programs, the AOA programs ive seen don't list a minimum??)

-My grades were decent in first 2 years. Around 86% average
-Class rank not given to us but I'd say middle third of class based off of test averages.
-no extracurriculars so far in med school. What are some extracurriculars a 3rd year student can be doing to improve app? I barely seem to have time to do anything these days, heh.
-i expect ill do decent during 3rd year too, nothing dazzling though.

I'll definitely try to get good LOR...and by that i guess just do my best in rotations then go back and ask for letters when its time.
I will also audition :)

basically, they want to see how good looking u are. if u are at least somewhat bangable and can hold a conversation you just improved ur chance of matching. better start lifting those weights, bruh.

edit: u think i'm kidding, but im not. acgme or aoa PDs want eye candy or freakishly smart ppl. If ure not freakishly smart, you best be freakishly good looking. #doctormike. don't hate the player hate the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone. I recently got my scores back and received a 483 on my COMLEX. I was just wondering, what specialties do I have a shot at or good chances of getting into.
I placed in the top 20% of my class, pending research publication and will have great LOR. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!