This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John_Dorian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a school that places a huge emphasis on its core curriculum of humanities courses. Personally, I can't stand it and find these courses more demanding and challenging than the courses pertaining to my major. If for some reason I end up with a few B's (or God forbid C's) in these courses, will this make me less of an applicant at for med schools? Do any schools actually care about these sorts classes? Anybody in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to a school that places a huge emphasis on its core curriculum of humanities courses. Personally, I can't stand it and find these courses more demanding and challenging than the courses pertaining to my major. If for some reason I end up with a few B's (or God forbid C's) in these courses, will this make me less of an applicant at for med schools? Do any schools actually care about these sorts classes? Anybody in a similar situation?

Yes they will care because it goes in your GPA. Maybe you should rethink your time management if you are struggling in those classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it's very bad. One of the problems of being premed unfortunately :( Coming from a school that still requires 2 semesters of GRADED phys-Ed classes I understand how frustrating it is. No real way out other than transferring though...

I actually got asked in one interview how I managed to get a B- in Weightlifting 101. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a liberal arts school for undergrad as well. At the time, I despised the core curriculum. In retrospect, I appreciate it now since it was probably one of the only times I will be exposed to those sorts of classes (read: humanities). If you actually pursue the med school route, you still have the rest of your life to be taking science classes. It sucks that you may not do as well as you hope in these classes, but enjoy the freedom while you can.

I went to a liberal arts school for undergrad as well. At the time, I despised the core curriculum. In retrospect, I appreciate it now since it was probably one of the only times I will be exposed to those sorts of classes (read: humanities). If you actually pursue the med school route, you still have the rest of your life to be taking science classes. It sucks that you may not do as well as you hope in these classes, but enjoy the freedom while you can.
I completely agree with you. They do tend to be interesting and thought provoking, but I don't have time for that. I would much rather pursue more relevant extracurriculars and subjects. So far I haven't gotten lower than an A-, so Im not deathly concerned about the grades. I

I went to a liberal arts school with a similar integrated core curriculum. They were hard classes that were writing-intensive and I definitely ended up with some Bs but no Cs. My biggest concern was that I would be missing requirements like English 101, 102, etc. when I was applying for med school. However, schools gave me credit for all of the required courses even though they were more integrated and didn't have the typical course code.
More surprisingly, at least 5 of my interviewers (over 4 total interviews) asked me about the integrated core and how it changed my education. They were interested in it because it was different and added some diversity!

The humanistic domain of medicine is larger than you might think. Medicine is not merely knowing how to hold a retractor or understand biochemical pathways.

Note here. Notice that Scientific Knowledge is only 1/6 things you have to master?

http://meded.ucsf.edu/mse/md-competencies

But a few C's aren't going to kill you. they might raise some eyebrows though.

I do not understand why people who are not interested in diverse subjects chose to go to liberal arts schools. Half of my freshman incoming class did not know what the liberal arts curriculum was and spent the better half of the first term whining about having to take religion and foreign language. OP, if you hate it so much, then transfer to a non-liberal arts school. You will have time for more upper-level science courses there. The curriculum is something you really should have thought about/considered before choosing a college.

My problem with liberal arts is the structure of the course. They tend to be bland and disappointing. I took health ethics expecting to discuss ethical dilemmas and how to approach certain situations. Instead, we had to read famous people opinion and take quiz on that reading. Another disappointing class I took was global religions. Half of the semester focused on random indigenous religions mostly in NA and Africa, and the other half shoved every other big and important to know religions. I'm more likely to encounter Buddhist or Jewish person than someone that practice indigenous religion...

I wonder if others have similar experience?

Liberal arts taught me to think critically, write succinctly and argue effectively regardless of subject matter. I took a lot of psychology and philosophy so I didn't expect practical training. College isn't trade school but the skills I valued can be used in any profession. Take classes that have nothing to do with medicine and enjoy learning.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Liberal arts taught me to think critically, write succinctly and argue effectively regardless of subject matter. I took a lot of psychology and philosophy so I didn't expect practical training. College isn't trade school but the skills I valued can be used in any profession. Take classes that have nothing to do with medicine and enjoy learning.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile
If only I could choose to take more interesting courses.

If only I could choose to take more interesting courses.
If you have to take humanities, take philosophy or art history. English can hopefully be more fun than composition. My school didn't have a lot of courses (tiny LAC) but it isn't hard to find the best professors or most unique classes.

If you have to take humanities, take philosophy or art history. English can hopefully be more fun than composition. My school didn't have a lot of courses (tiny LAC) but it isn't hard to find the best professors or most unique classes.
I have essentially no choice when it comes to the core. I have to take two philosophy, two theology, art, history, comp, lit, social science, and a performing arts class. Its kind of ridiculous and I'm not too happy about it.

I know that feel, OP. I had to take three semesters of liberal arts courses to fulfill my non-science pre-reqs. Mind you, I had originally wanted to pursue journalism and biology, but after switching majors, it could be a hassle. Had to take three pre-reqs a semester so I could only knock out Gen Chem my freshman year.

That being said, I felt an appreciation for both the humanities and the sciences -- as Goro mentioned, going into any sort of health field does not simply involve knowing the sciences from top to bottom. Why do you think the MCAT includes Verbal Reasoning, the DAT Reading Comprehension, etc.?

And hey, sometimes those liberal arts courses can be GPA boosters. Even if they're not, sometimes doing well in one just makes you feel good. I have an A- on my transcript for Major Texts in Critical Theory that still surprises me. :rolleyes:

My problem with liberal arts is the structure of the course. They tend to be bland and disappointing. I took health ethics expecting to discuss ethical dilemmas and how to approach certain situations. Instead, we had to read famous people opinion and take quiz on that reading. Another disappointing class I took was global religions. Half of the semester focused on random indigenous religions mostly in NA and Africa, and the other half shoved every other big and important to know religions. I'm more likely to encounter Buddhist or Jewish person than someone that practice indigenous religion...

I wonder if others have similar experience?
I've had pretty similar experiences. My theology courses have been completely irrelevant to life in general. I feel like I'm memorizing stuff for the hell of it without putting much thought into anything. For the most part, these classes are just memorizing information with little practical value and reciting them on quizes and discussions. Pretty mindless if you asked me.

I do not understand why people who are not interested in diverse subjects chose to go to liberal arts schools. Half of my freshman incoming class did not know what the liberal arts curriculum was and spent the better half of the first term whining about having to take religion and foreign language. OP, if you hate it so much, then transfer to a non-liberal arts school. You will have time for more upper-level science courses there. The curriculum is something you really should have thought about/considered before choosing a college.
I really should have put more thought into this, but unfortunately I got a full ride to this school. I'm grateful for the money and everything, but this school was at the bottom of my list and was really pressured into enrolling. I wish I could transfer, but from what I hear, I can't get a comparable offer as a transfer.

Open your mind. You will be a better student, and possibly a better person. I loved my experience at my LAC (and mine was basically free as well). Find the best professors, take advantage of these four years. You get the chance to study philosophy, religion, art and history. You will learn to think critically, understand things in context, relate to the motivations of people across the globe and hopefully develop a sense of beauty and style.

I actually got asked in one interview how I managed to get a B- in Weightlifting 101. :oops:

If this is anything like my experience with these classes I can see how the rest went, "Well you see sir I, uh, may or may not have missed more days than they said I could..."