Liberal Arts Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kson223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is a bit of an old question, but I am starting to apply for DO schools and would like to know my chances of getting into med school.

Some stats:

Psych major
sGPA: 3.13 (a bit low, but I am hoping to get it around 3.2ish by the end of the year)
cGPA: 3.49
non-science GPA: 3.85

expected MCAT: 26-28 (from what I got by taking practice tests)

EC:

Summer internship at a rural hospital
Internship next fall at a Addictions Recovery Center in a hopsital setting
Member of BBB - bio honor society
Secretary of PSi Chi - Psych honor society
TA for a botany class in the bio department
Dean's list a few times

Student Ambassador for the college
on the Executive board of Residence Hall Association for 2 years, including a VP position
RA for a year
Hall Desk supervisor for two years
Alternate Spring Break service trip

Schools I am applying to:
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
NYSCOM
PCOM
TOUROCOM-NY
UMDNJ

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I know this is a bit of an old question, but I am starting to apply for DO schools and would like to know my chances of getting into med school.

Some stats:

Psych major
sGPA: 3.13 (a bit low, but I am hoping to get it around 3.2ish by the end of the year)
cGPA: 3.49
non-science GPA: 3.85

expected MCAT: 26-28 (from what I got by taking practice tests)

EC:

Summer internship at a rural hospital
Internship next fall at a Addictions Recovery Center in a hopsital setting
Member of BBB - bio honor society
Secretary of PSi Chi - Psych honor society
TA for a botany class in the bio department
Dean's list a few times

Student Ambassador for the college
on the Executive board of Residence Hall Association for 2 years, including a VP position
RA for a year
Hall Desk supervisor for two years
Alternate Spring Break service trip

Schools I am applying to:
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
NYSCOM
PCOM
TOUROCOM-NY
UMDNJ

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Your projected numbers, other than the sGPA, look to be fine for an acceptance somewhere. Do you have a recent upward grade trend in the sciences, including some As in upper-level Bio? (Which could override the problem.) Are there a few low grades you could retake to boost the sGPA quickly (through the grade replacement policy)?

An additional concern would be that you have only 3-4 months of clinical experience, and that you don't mention physician shadowing. You have good leadership, but only one spring break's worth of nonmedical community service.

Overall, I think that applying at this time might be iffy, considering you have several areas that could use improvement.

DO schools love applicants interested in primary care that display this interest. Normally, this is displayed by shadowing primary care or clinical volunteering. This will be your weakness point. The average sGPA at Osteopathic schools is around a 3.3, so I think you'd have a good shot as if you had the volunteering. Since you don't, I suggest you do science retakes to at least meet that average.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about shadowing physicians? I am from the Chicago area and have been calling DO offices for a while and everyone I've talked to tells me that they do not take students as it is a liability issue with the privacy and all. I have tried calling private practices as well as hospitals and I'm a little desperate now.