License by endorsement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dog_luver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between license by examination vs endorsement? I have a full license already and applied for another one. I was told I should have applied by endorsement. What does that mean and how is that different than by examination?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between license by examination vs endorsement? I have a full license already and applied for another one. I was told I should have applied by endorsement. What does that mean and how is that different than by examination?
It means you already have a license somewhere else and they're willing to accept that since State X thinks you deserve to practice medicine, that they do too. It's typically a less onerous procedure than by exam. But it's otherwise ultimately meaningless as long as you otherwise qualify for a license in that state. Other than the time consideration of course.

It means you already have a license somewhere else and they're willing to accept that since State X thinks you deserve to practice medicine, that they do too. It's typically a less onerous procedure than by exam. But it's otherwise ultimately meaningless as long as you otherwise qualify for a license in that state. Other than the time consideration of course.

Ok but in practical terms what does that mean? From what I've seen it seems you have to provide just as much paperwork

Ok but in practical terms what does that mean? From what I've seen it seems you have to provide just as much paperwork
Of course you have to do as much paperwork. It just might not be checked as closely.

What part of "it's ultimately meaningless" was unclear? Also, who made a stink about this, the docs who hired you for this new position and need to have you licensed ASAP? Or some state/institutional/practice level high school graduate "administrator"?

Of course you have to do as much paperwork. It just might not be checked as closely.

What part of "it's ultimately meaningless" was unclear? Also, who made a stink about this, the docs who hired you for this new position and need to have you licensed ASAP? Or some state/institutional/practice level high school graduate "administrator"?

The administrator person - I clearly stated on my application that I had a full license in state X, provided verification of that license, they even noted that they received such information. Then when they were about to submit it they said oh we noted that you have a full license, you should have applied by endorsement. I said ok, I did not realize that. Basically I said what do you need me to do - mind you I have no negative action, no other issues, all my training verifications have come back clean with no issues, etc. I have provided countless amounts of stuff. I'm fine applying this way, but in my mind at least, it makes no difference. They have already checked everything I sent them so what difference does it make whether I applied by endorsement vs. exam (and at this point it's a rhetorical question)! I'm annoyed.

I would really love to know how you handle things in your work environment - and I don't mean that in a pejorative way. I absolutely agree with your "high school graduate administrator" comment. I have the same view point about the meaningless BS we are made to go through routinely and I find it incredibly frustrating. I'm curious to know how others deal with it.

The administrator person - I clearly stated on my application that I had a full license in state X, provided verification of that license, they even noted that they received such information. Then when they were about to submit it they said oh we noted that you have a full license, you should have applied by endorsement. I said ok, I did not realize that. Basically I said what do you need me to do - mind you I have no negative action, no other issues, all my training verifications have come back clean with no issues, etc. I have provided countless amounts of stuff. I'm fine applying this way, but in my mind at least, it makes no difference. They have already checked everything I sent them so what difference does it make whether I applied by endorsement vs. exam (and at this point it's a rhetorical question)! I'm annoyed.

I would really love to know how you handle things in your work environment - and I don't mean that in a pejorative way. I absolutely agree with your "high school graduate administrator" comment. I have the same view point about the meaningless BS we are made to go through routinely and I find it incredibly frustrating. I'm curious to know how others deal with it.
Just sign on the dotted line and move on. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

Just sign on the dotted line and move on. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

I know, I have provided everything they have asked me, and now they just want to verify this additional license that I have which I am fine with doing. I just find it annoying that's all