License renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized license renewal is a hefty 600$ and all i do is update my address/phone # which is the same as prior, so i literally am paying 600$ to enter a few #s they sent me and answer few yes/no and click submit. This sounds like robbery to me.. how can they justify 600$ for this?! i know i have no choice if i want to practice, but this is just ridiculous. And to think id have to do this every 2 years.

Are most states 2 years renewal?! how much do yours cost?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same states are 1 year renewal. It's ridiculous.
One state I'm licensed in yearly it's about $200, the other state I'm licensed in it's every 2 years and it's over $600.
Yep absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unpopular opinion:
I get quite a few benefits from being licensed in my state. My annual renewal is a steal for the malpractice caps and lower premiums alone.

Perhaps you need to look at what you are actually getting rather than the work that goes into just granting you a license.

DEA license, state controlled substance license, state medical license ..... it’s all money spent on nothing to get a number that I need to work :(

Literally a reimburseable work expense

Edit: I will edit this. If you're renewing a license for a state in which you don't practice, then I understand, but then just ask yourself if you should just go inactive status.

Last edited:
Literally a reimburseable work expense

Edit: I will edit this. If you're renewing a license for a state in which you don't practice, then I understand, but then just ask yourself if you should just go inactive status.

how do you reimburse.... huh? you mean its one of the benefits of your job?

how do you reimburse.... huh? you mean its one of the benefits of your job?
Even if your job doesn’t have a benefits plan you and your tax man need to be on top of that. ANYTHING that you pay for out of pocket that is work related or necessary to do your job (license, Society memberships, CME, MOCA, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if your job doesn’t have a benefits plan you and your tax man need to be on top of that. ANYTHING that you pay for out of pocket that is work related or necessary to do your job (license, Society memberships, CME, MOCA, etc)

i tried that in the past with board exam fees... didnt fly when i asked about it (Step3, advanced, oral)

• Hmm
i tried that in the past with board exam fees... didnt fly when i asked about it (Step3, advanced, oral)

Step 3 is not deductible because you need it to become licensed as a physician (initial licensing).
Advanced and oral should be deductible just like CME.

Bottom of page 1 is white coat investor's opinion.

Step 3 is not deductible because you need it to become licensed as a physician (initial licensing).

Very interesting... that's not good.. i didnt deduct my advanced or oral.. !!! very sad.

so if i buy a course like

that , which is 9 CME and butterfly ultrasound for 3000$, i can deduct 3000$ because it is cme?

What about travel and hotel for CME... do you deduct that from W2 too??

I don't think you can do that if you're a w2 person.
Also, the tax code has changed since 2016, so things might be slightly different.
This is why I decided to use an accountant this year!

But bottom line is definitely save all receipts and documentation in a convenient location so that when it does come tax time you can easily access it.

So it’s worth looking into. I’m not sure if WCI or POF cover it. It’s worth some time searching on the internet. I do believe there is a part of TurboTax where you can deduct expenses that aren’t covered on your W2. This includes work expenses that aren’t covered by your employer (classic example is teachers using their own funds for school supplies). This hasn’t been an issue for me as I’ve expensed everything I can (including work shoes, stethoscopes, etc.) through my expense account.

So it’s worth looking into. I’m not sure if WCI or POF cover it. It’s worth some time searching on the internet. I do believe there is a part of TurboTax where you can deduct expenses that aren’t covered on your W2. This includes work expenses that aren’t covered by your employer (classic example is teachers using their own funds for school supplies). This hasn’t been an issue for me as I’ve expensed everything I can (including work shoes, stethoscopes, etc.) through my expense account.

If you are W-2, unreimbursed job expenses are no longer deductible (as of 2018) due to the tax reform (the same "reform" that imposed the SALT cap...)

Very interesting... that's not good.. i didnt deduct my advanced or oral.. !!! very sad.

so if i buy a course like

that , which is 9 CME and butterfly ultrasound for 3000$, i can deduct 3000$ because it is cme?

What about travel and hotel for CME... do you deduct that from W2 too??
The best way is to get your employer to reimburse it. Most have some sort of benefits plan with education reimbursement that is probably capped. I think mine for example caps at $2500 and it’s use it or lose it (ie it doesn’t rollover) I usually buy some ACE exams and pay for my society memberships with it and I’m good. I give them the receipt and they cut me a check.

If your employer doesn’t offer anything like this, quite honestly it may not be a great package or if you’re 1099 you have to figure something else out.

i think benefits packages is something that gets very little coverage on here Versus “salaries”. Just my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The best way is to get your employer to reimburse it. Most have some sort of benefits plan with education reimbursement that is probably capped. I think mine for example caps at $2500 and it’s use it or lose it (ie it doesn’t rollover) I usually buy some ACE exams and pay for my society memberships with it and I’m good. I give them the receipt and they cut me a check.

If your employer doesn’t offer anything like this, quite honestly it may not be a great package or if you’re 1099 you have to figure something else out.

i think benefits packages is something that gets very coverage on here Versus “salaries”. Just my opinion

Oh we dont have education funds. I was thinking of buying a butterfly, but if its combined with a CME course, was hoping i can just deduct the whole thing since it's a CME related package, vs just a standalone butterfly...