Licensing in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookwormpsych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for some feedback from folks that have become licensed in Texas. I passed the EPPP in July and the Jurisprudence exam this past Saturday. I can't find anything in my numerous Google searches to tell me how long it typically takes the board to issue a license. I was wondering if anyone had feedback about their experience regarding next steps, time frames, etc?

I know with COVID being a thing that the board is a little more sluggish than typical - so I will take what is said and add a couple of weeks to that. I'm just impatient and I'm sure that comes from my excitement to be a licensed clinician! Also - for reference, I am obtaining a license as a Licensed Psychological Associate (not a Licensed Psychologist, unfortunately. I hope in my future this is the case!) I know time frames for different types of licenses may vary. Just looking for an estimate so I can stop obsessing... or at least try to!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look up the meeting frequency, should be posted on the website somewhere. Most states only formally accept and sign off on licenses during board meetings.

Thank you for that information! It looks like they actually had a board meeting this morning. I hope I squeezed in under the wire because the next meeting isn't until November!

Members don't see this ad :)
The board is shutting down from 8/16 to 8/31 as they transition to a new system that's more consistent across the various Texas licensure boards for other health professionals. Also, everyone is working remotely right now. I would expect there to be a lag until at least September. They are pretty prompt at responding to emails, though, so I would follow-up with them in early September if you haven't heard anything.

Yup, board is shutting down temporarily. They extended PLP time periods for like an extra 2(?) years, so I expect this reflects the extended timeframe. Despite all that, they've been fairly responsive to me and I've not had issues during COVID going through the process.

They are very responsive to phone calls. Congrats on your achievements! I have had a LPA for a long time, it’s a really flexible license and there aren’t that many of us. If you are good at clinical work you will be able to make a solid living with your LPA.

Reactions: 1 users
For the future, I think it was about 2 months from the time I took the oral exam to move from PLP to LP (exam in early July, license the first week of September). Not sure what they're doing these days about orals in the time of COVID.

Congrats!

For the future, I think it was about 2 months from the time I took the oral exam to move from PLP to LP (exam in early July, license the first week of September). Not sure what they're doing these days about orals in the time of COVID.

Congrats!
thank goodness they sunset those about 2 years ago.

They are very responsive to phone calls. Congrats on your achievements! I have had a LPA for a long time, it’s a really flexible license and there aren’t that many of us. If you are good at clinical work you will be able to make a solid living with your LPA.

Thank you very much! It's been a pain in my ass journey, but I'm thankful it's done (mostly). I went to a program that allowed for licensure as an LPA or an LPC, but I'm more interested in clinical work rather than just the counseling side of things so that's what I went with! And that gives me hope, thank you! I think to make a decent living, however, I will need to move from this dumpy town into more of a metroplex (like DFW) area. Also, thank you for the resource!

Thank you for the feedback, everyone! Getting licensed is a pain on it's own and COVID just makes that worse. I will definitely give them some time, maybe a month or so, and then e-mail or call them. So far they have been responsive as you have all said. I'm sure my impatience comes from my excitement to be "officially" licensed. Knowing that I passed all of my examinations and checked all the boxes but not having a license is a weird feeling, haha!

Also - I did forget they are closing down for the transition! I got e-mailed about that but likely stored that in the "ignore" box in my mind for some reason, haha!

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the awesome feedback. I did want to give a quick update, in case their are others in the same boat as me.

I searched today on the public licensee lookup on TBSEP's page.... and I am listed there as an official Licensed Psychological Associate! So, even with many changes and transitions, the board was quick to license me. It took about a week for it to be posted. That's so exciting!

Now, on to collecting hours and hopefully finding a new job because the one I have is just.. bad. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! TBSEP is wonderful. The LPC board on the other hand, stopped taking calls in May and hasn't responded to my emails from that same time. It's August. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Thanks again for the awesome feedback. I did want to give a quick update, in case their are others in the same boat as me.

I searched today on the public licensee lookup on TBSEP's page.... and I am listed there as an official Licensed Psychological Associate! So, even with many changes and transitions, the board was quick to license me. It took about a week for it to be posted. That's so exciting!

Now, on to collecting hours and hopefully finding a new job because the one I have is just.. bad. :laugh:
I passed the EPPP last Friday! yea!!!!

Will the board send me a certificate or official report?

OMG how did you pass your Texas Jurisprudence Exam? I have tried four times, still not passed.

The Jurisprudence exam is open book, use that to your advantage haha.

OMG how did you pass your Texas Jurisprudence Exam? I have tried four times, still not passed.
I just googled answers and used the control + find functions. Just made sure to check wording very carefully

...failed an open book test 4 times...

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,

I’m planning on moving to Texas after my internship year and I was hoping you could answer a question for me: do I have to complete my postdoctoral hours (planning on doing an informal postdoc)before I can take the EPPP and Jurisprudence exam? Or can I take those first and then complete my postdoctoral hours?

I’d appreciate any insight into this! Thanks!!

Hi everyone,

I’m planning on moving to Texas after my internship year and I was hoping you could answer a question for me: do I have to complete my postdoctoral hours (planning on doing an informal postdoc)before I can take the EPPP and Jurisprudence exam? Or can I take those first and then complete my postdoctoral hours?

You should be able to find that information within these two resources:

More likely to find it in the first link. Otherwise, I would contact the board!

Hi everyone,

The links provided above should be helpful; I'd second the recommendation to check there and, if then necessary, call or email the board directly. I'd be surprised if they required completion of postdoctoral hours before allowing you to sit for the EPPP, but stranger things have happened.

The links provided above should be helpful; I'd second the recommendation to check there and, if then necessary, call or email the board directly. I'd be surprised if they required completion of postdoctoral hours before allowing you to sit for the EPPP, but stranger things have happened.

I'm ALMOST positive that you do not have to get your post doc hours first, just your internship hours. But, I am only a master's level provider and the regulations for LPAs are a little different than for LPs (psychologists). For me, to become independently licensed, I have to get 3000 supervised hours (master's level equivalent of postdoc hours?). I was able to take the EPPP and jurisprudence prior to this. I think it is similar for psychologists. You have to get X hours in post doc to move from "provisionally licensed" to "fully licensed." Don't hold me to this, though.

do I have to complete my postdoctoral hours (planning on doing an informal postdoc)before I can take the EPPP and Jurisprudence exam? Or can I take those first and then complete my postdoctoral hours?
No, you don't have to complete your postdoc hours before taking the exams. A lot of the postdocs I've worked with took time during their postdoc year to study, or there was study time built in to the postdoc experience.