Licensing question

Discussion in 'Military Dentistry' started by BuckeyMcGee, Dec 29, 2008.

  1. BuckeyMcGee

    2+ Year Member

    Oct 29, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Dental Student
    Hi all, it has been a while. So I graduate in 2010 and would like to eventually practice up in the northeast...probably New Jersey (don't ask involves a long and complicated explanation). I'll be working for the Navy for 4 years, and I am currently attending Nova in Florida. With all that said, how does the Navy go about licensing? Should I take the NERBs for my board exam or take the Florida boards? I've heard the NERBs are easier and it also would allow me to practice where I want following the Navy. Any input?
  2. krmower

    Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Jul 23, 2008
    Likes Received:
    First see what the licensing rules are for New Jersey. Many states will take more than one board, so you may be able to take the Centrals or Westerns and still get licensed in New Jersey.

    The military only cares that you are licensed in a state - doesn't matter which one. You could do Florida or a different regional board, and then after your time in the Navy get reciprocity and apply to New Jersey. Things to consider when choosing which state to license in initially - cost, difficulty, and convenience.

    Cost - Some states are more expensive to have a license in than others. During your 4 years (or more) in the Navy, you may not want to pay that much for a certain state when you could get another for cheaper.

    Difficulty - I went to school in the Northeast, and the NERBS at the time were one of the more difficult regional boards to pass. If you don't pass the boards the first time, there is a lot of expense, stress, and delays you could face if you have to re-take it.

    Convenience - I decided to take the Western boards since I would eventually practice out there. I had to drive from Philadelphia down to Richmond to take the Western boards (things are different now). I also had to pay for my patients to come down (meals, hotel, etc...). In the end it may have been easier and less expensive just to take what my school offered and worry about changing later.
  3. umkcdds

    umkcdds Army OMS
    10+ Year Member

    Aug 15, 2005
    Likes Received:
    my recommendation would be to do what it takes to get licensed in the state you know you want to practice in once you get out of the military - in your case, new jersey.

    if you are never going to practice in florida (outside of the military) there is no reason to become licensed in florida.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page