Licensure...how does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geometric-pain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my question for all you active duty dentists out there or really just anyone who might know - How does licensure work? More specifically, how does it work when you separate and want to obtain a license to practice in a separate state? I plan on taking the WREB before I report for active duty, is that all I need to be able to obtain a license without examination in other states (after duty obligations)? I hope I am making a little sense here and would like to see what you all have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my question for all you active duty dentists out there or really just anyone who might know - How does licensure work? More specifically, how does it work when you separate and want to obtain a license to practice in a separate state? I plan on taking the WREB before I report for active duty, is that all I need to be able to obtain a license without examination in other states (after duty obligations)? I hope I am making a little sense here and would like to see what you all have to say.

The military requires that you have a state issued license (ie California) or a board issued license (WREB). With that license, you'll be able to work in any federal capacity: military, native american reservation, fed prison system, etc.

To work in another state in the civilian sector requires research into that state's laws. Some states do not allow licensure with credentials/reciprocity (without taking an exam) and you'll have to take the exam. So it all depends on the state's laws.

After taking WREBs - Apply for state licensure in whatever state you plan on going to when you get out.